Sunday 14 January 2007

Resolve


I've been going to the gym regularly for almost a year now. It wasn't a New Year's resolution, it was something I'd been meaning to do for a long time (exercise regularly) and last February was when I happened to sign up.

I've wondered for a few weeks now if I'd see any change in the people patterns at the gym since we're in the new year with its wishes and resolutions, and yesterday, I did.

I know when my gym has its quiet moments, its busier moments, and its in-between moments, so I was mildly amused at the no-parking, completely full cardio machines and well-meaning masses I encountered yesterday.

I'm happy that they all are making an effort to improve their health, or their moods,or their weight, or whatever it is that's brought them to the gym and I wish them all luck. It'll be interesting to see if the crowds thin out or if they re-distribute themselves to different times.

I don't mind the sudden influx. I live in a tourist destination town, so I'm used to the feeling of being a local who already knows the ropes. Plus, if I can't get parked, I can always walk there, or find a side street to park on. If I can't get on the cardio machine I'd like, I can run up and down the stairs or use the less popular rowing machines. And I promise I'll resist the urge to tell people to slow down before they injure something.

I'm going to sneak off to the gym now in the hopes that some of the folks from yesterday are icing sore muscles and things'll be a little calmer.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Happy New Year Victoria! Early January at the gym is always a little nuts. It makes me giggle too. If your gym is anything like mine, it quiets down by February - maybe not back to December levels but you can find a parking space!

Victoria said...

Yeah, we'll see how it goes Laura!

Slinger said...

Same here, late February slows down and after St. Patrick's day, forget it.

dilling said...

it's one of my resolutions to get BACK to regular exercise...I was there and last January I kind of fell all to pieces but am feeling much better now...wink. But I have to do it at home cuz I can't stand the gym...i like to be alone in my misery...

McGone said...

It'll be interesting to see if the crowds thin out

That's why they are at the gym.

Victoria said...

Slinger, maybe it's all the green beer? Makes them not want to go to the gym anymore? ; )

Dilling, I know what you mean. I like to pretend I'm the only person at the gym. I *have* to go to the gym to exercise though cuz at home my couches are just too comfy. They call to me. A lot.

McGone, That was groan-worthy. And may have possibly taken me a while to figure out! hee!