Thursday 30 August 2007

Break Up With Her In August

Looking back on things, I've come to realize that I've been dumped in August before.

At least twice.

Maybe it's something about the time of year; maybe guys are more able to envision a future without their current girlfriend when it's sunny out, maybe wild oats need seeded in the summer months, maybe it's just co-incidence, I'm not sure.

But now that I have some weeks, months and years, behind my respective August breakups, I'm thinking it's maybe not such a bad time of year to be dumped.


Around here, it's the middle of summer. Things are bright, even on cloudy days, and generally, people are cheerful and tanned and wearing clothes that let you imagine what they might look like naked. (See, we're a temperate rainforest, we usually wear jackets. And jeans. Often with sweaters.)

It's easier to force yourself to get off the couch when it's summer and your hometown is buzzing with activities and cool things to see and do.

Plus, all the hottest guys seem to flock to this town when it's summer. Maybe it's the University kids coming back, or the tourists, or just local people taking a few days off to enjoy the weather, I don't know.

I just know I've been so enjoying wandering around lately and exchanging flirty smiles with very good-looking, summer-clothes-wearing guys. It does wonders for the self-esteem.

So, seeing as I'll eventually have another dude in my life, I guess I can at least ask him to break up with me in August. A far, far better time to mourn than mid-December, no?


July - Spirit of the West

January follows December with a month of rain.
February waits for March to spring back again.
April, May remove your clothes, so go expose your skin.
June comes on putting colour back into your limbs.

July lays a hint of blonde, straight through your hair
August may insist it's time we kiss, before we disappear

September is here, let the real New Year begin.
October wears the colour of a rusting piece of tin.

November we remember, pin a poppy over your left breast.

But December is a battleground for those of us who get depressed.


Oh but July throws a hint of blonde, right through our hair
August will insist it's time we kiss before we disappear,

We disappear...


And summer runs a hand of blond all though my hair
And August will insist it's time we kiss before we disappear



I think I've found some beautiful post titles for the next few months.




Happy Summer, everyone.

15 comments:

dilling said...

happy flirty summer to you...see you later! I'm out to get a little late summer sun, and the kids will all be going back to school....good times, good times.

Victoria said...

ahhhhhhhhh

danish said...

Me too...

Weird!

There has to be something with August. Has to be.

And those are some nice lyrics, btw.

Happy summer to you... it's almost over! >_<; Hope you enjoy the rest of it, Miss Victoria. :D

The Duchess said...

Happy Summer! I plan on wearing a short little skirt and tanktop this weekend in your honour!

cocoa_no_gogo said...

How might one distinguish a "flirty" smile from a "friendly" smile?

Do the eyelashes get involved? What about the hips?

Victoria said...

Cocoa, I, uh, don't really know how to answer this VERY important question. I'd have to say that it's in the eyes, actually. Like, are they nice and friendly? Or are they all twinkly? I think the flirty smile is like a wink, maybe kind of cheeky versus "awwwwww, you're so nice" Does that make sense? It's ;)
instead of :) and maybe :D
There may be some eyebrows involved or crookedness. Not sure about the eyelashes.

Theoretically, you're looking for batting and swaying in terms of hips and eyelashes! ;)

Victoria said...

Danish, it's quite a lovely song and quite a lovely month : )
I'm going to do my best to enjoy it!

Victoria said...

Duchess, I highly approve!!!

Jenn O'Neil said...

Happy Summer to you as well Victoria. I happen to love Fall and can't wait to be wearing a sweatshirt and jeans in October while exchanging flirty smiles with the single guys!

Michael Colvin said...

Enjoy your sun! We know how to grab at little scraps of summer over here too. It has been a bad one this year...sigh.

Yvonne said...

Lots of cute guys at and in the Fringe Festival as well. ;)

Victoria said...

Jenn, I have quite a fondness for Fall myself! ; )


Tod, not the greatest of summers for you then?

Yvonne, good idea! Woot!

Victoria said...

Well, thanks! I'll take that Winter of 2005 well-wishing! ; )

And, uh, good luck with the girl thing, you crazy critter you!

Delton said...

Whew! I almost took the title of this post as advice. I'm pretty sure I would have regretted it though.

Anyway, whenever the month, enjoy the relationships or the flirty smiles or whatever you can get that makes you feel happy!

Victoria said...

Whew indeed Delton! : )

You enjoy things that make you happy too okay?