Saturday 4 August 2007

I'm Not Sure What Possessed Me To Do This

A little earlier, I took my recycling out back of my apartment where I encountered the largest spider I've ever seen around here. It certainly wasn't tarantula size or anything, but it was big. And spiky.

I blew on its web and got a good view of its long spiky legs as it moved around a bit.

Now I'm not the hugest fan of spiders, but I thought this guy was impressive enough to show you, so I ran inside to get my camera to try and grab a photo of it.


I did what I could to get a photo that showed how impressive this thing was, but you'd be surprised how difficult it is to get a decent closeup photo of a spider when you refuse to get closer than three feet away.

Here's a seriously blurry shot to give you some idea of the scale.

It's in between my garbage and recycling bins. They be big. I wanted to hold something up to it to give you a sense of scale, but... no. No. No. Sorry. You'll just have to trust me on this one.


OK. I'm going to go do something very non spider thinking about-ish now.

Maybe I'll look at stickers of unicorns and rainbows.

Maybe I'll have a shower too.



Edited to add: Don't look at the larger version of the first photo unless you really like spiders. Gah!

12 comments:

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I totally looked at the big version of 1st photo before continuing to read and seeing the warning! Creepy!!!!!!!!!!!

Victoria said...

Oh NO! LOL

Yvonne said...

ack, I looked at the big version too. The frickin' thing is HAIRY!!! OMG!

Victoria said...

LOL! I know!!!!!

Michael Colvin said...

That is a pretty big spider. I don't mind them personally but G hates them. Thanks V, I'm now going to chase G around the house with your picture and my laptop.

The weekend suddenly got fun!

Jonathan Beckett said...

Did you know that no spiders that we know about in the world have lethal bites?

The Ex said...

That is so shittingly disgusting!

This is why the world needs men. To kill things like that.

(Note: not kill! I mean catch! and release! into a meadow filled with spider orgies!)

(Note: I do mean kill because EWW did you SEE the first picture!)

Victoria said...

Tod! Be NICE! lol

Jonathan, really? What about all them ones in Australia? Is it only snakes that kill us then?

The Ex, "shittingly disgusting"! Hilarious! When growing up, I always made my Dad catch bugs and release them. When I saw him smushing the tissue around them I'd say "Don't KILL IT!" and Dad would say, I'm just clicking its heels.

So, they don't really need to be killed as long as they're far far far far away from where I live and sleep. ; )

And, yes,EWWWWWWWWW! I saw it.

dilling said...

Holy! Moley!
Thank goodness that it is at your house and not mine... ew.

Victoria said...

Ewww, now I wish it wasn't at my house anymore!

Anonymous said...

OH. MY. GOD! That is one spikey spider! I too woul dhave had to take a photo, but still get the heebie jeebies afterward.

Victoria said...

that's exactly what I did slinger!
hee!