Monday 27 August 2007

Truth Hurts


I had a couple of ouchies today, both (surprise, surprise) Smith related.

Firstly, I spent most of last week working with some spies from another spy place. (I'm doing collaborative spying for a little while here. Can't talk about it, would have to wipe your memory.)

I managed to get myself into a group with the only two guys around my age who didn't have wedding rings. (My co-worker actually laughed at me on the way home, "I totally know why you put yourself in that group!" But, come on, I've got to try to get me a new man eventually, right? At least I'm trying. Sigh.)

One of these guys is kind of... attractive. Not someone I'd usually go for, but he's got that certain rawr thing going on. (And I figured a romp in the hay would help me get over Smith. Or, at least it might provide y'all some entertainment. And maybe I'd get a relationship out of it, who knows?) So, I let my imagination run away with me and pictured him ripping off my bodice and throwing me on the bed in his European, long haired swarthy kind of way, and I even manged to do some of my best flirting. (I think. There was eye contact and smiles and everything!)

My co-worker is brilliant and offered him a ride home from our (top secret) meeting place today and when I pulled out the "So, tell us about yourself" he talked about his partner (which, by the way, is one of my least favourite terms) and how he moved here from out East for her.

Ouch.

Not only is he in a long term relationship (which was a real blow to hear, surprisingly, I guess my imagination got further than just romance-novel-sex-scenes) but he moved here for her. You know, like Smith didn't do for me. Ow.

Secondly, I talked to this mortgage person at a bank to get an idea of what kind of places I'd be looking at if I wanted to buy. (You know, to get a general ballpark of what prices I should look at.) She asked me my address, phone number, that kind of thing and then she asked, "Are you single?"

"Yes." I replied, feeling proud of myself because I didn't get emotional or anything.

"Oh," came her answer, her former perkiness deflated, "that makes it really really tough for you to get a mortgage." And there was a pause while I sank into a huge hole of dark doom and gloom.

"Well, you could always wait til you got a boyfriend you know!"

Ouch. (I went on to explain, politely, that I'd been waiting for a boyfriend to get into the housing market for years and wasn't willing to do that anymore, but yes, once I found my rich husband I wouldn't be worrying about my mortgage payments, I was aware of that.)

Hurts to hear the truth sometimes, huh?

12 comments:

Delton said...

What a stupid fucking thing for her to say to you. It's not as if you're just sitting at home not working and trying to get a mortgage. I assume that spies must make pretty good money. Tell her if she doesn't want your business, you can just go somewhere else that doesn't have a bias about someone's marital status.

Likalia said...

Ouch and ouch, and ouch. *hugs*

About the housing thing though, I would call a mortgage broker over talking to a bank, not only can they get you better interest rates but they can work things in your favour a lot of times. I was really grateful for mine, as I was in the same boat as you being single, it wasn't really a big issue at all. (Though I had my Mum co-sign on the loan just so I could get more money from them. :) Which was equal to more land in my case.)

Anyway, must get back to pretending to work. :)

Victoria said...

Yeah,Delton, it wasn't the most sensitive thing. I'm sure she meant well, but still....it kind of stung. : ( I don't make a whole lot of money as a spy but it's decent.

Victoria said...

Likalia, I've heard of mortgage brokers, but I don't really know what it means. Definitely something to look into.

Anonymous said...

I am kind of shocked at the fact they told you it would be hard being single. Do they do things differently in Canada? I know plenty of people who own homes that are single and make average money. Then again, look at the mortgage business down here in the lower 48.

Anyway, good luck, and I am with Likalia, shop around some more with the mortgage info.

Anonymous said...

She could end up buying you a house for free if you had recorded her saying such a freakin' moronic thing. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW to do crap like that. It's all about your income and your credit rating. Period. It's the law.

I am a single woman and I have bought two homes on my own. People do it all the time.


Imagine from the ORG

Victoria said...

Slinger, I think she meant more that it'd be tough for me to get a "good" mortgage. Or, in this town, one that'll buy me anything decent. Because, yes, I can get a mortgage, probably tomorrow if I want, but because I'm single (and therefore have half the income) it'll be for way more years and for way less.

PS. What's "the lower 48" mean?

Victoria said...

Imagine, first of all a shout out to the ORG! ; ) I like the idea of the lady buying me a house and I'm so excited for you that you have two! Yay you! I think maybe she was just talking without thinking it through... I hope.

*shrug*

But, yes... definitely a silly thing for her to have said. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so! ; )

dilling said...

the 48 contiguous states?

And? OMG!!! I can't believe she just siad that, can you? Nope, nobody here can believe it either. Plenty of single people own their own homes, condos, rental properties...sheesh.

And? Ouch.

Victoria said...

Dilling, is that what it means?

I'd bet you that this lady can't believe she said it either. Or, at least, that's what I'm hoping!

But, yeah. Ouch. :/

Yvonne said...

Good grief. Talk about unprofessional.

And yes, do see a mortgage broker. My realtor hooked me up with the one he works with and she got me a much better rate (and therefore a higher mortgage approval level) than my bank.

Banks can be really awful in how they deal with mortgage issues. When my married friend applied for a mortgage with her hubby they would only use half her income in the formula because she "might" get pregnant and be off work.

Victoria said...

Yvonne, I think the pregnant comment is worse than mine! Holy smokes!!! I'll look into a broker now for sure.

Tyler, ; )