Sunday 26 August 2007

And Now We Have Your Weekend Update

I have many reasons for not talking about my work and last week I was glad I'd made that rule for myself, because, dude? I could have ranted and raved and gone on and on about it every day last week. It was tempting. It still is.

But anyway. Work is what it is and it's only going to get more stressful in the coming weeks. So, yeah. I don't know how to stop my brain from leaking slowly out of my ears so puhleaze excuse me if my comments on your sites make very little sense or if I make even less sense here than usual, or, yeah. Stuff. Sorry in advance just in case. I'm stressed with no end in sight yet.

On the flip side, I've been to my second acupuncture appointment and found that after lying there with needles stuck in me I was as mellow as mellow could be. So now, when I become super rich, I think I'm going to add personal acupuncturist to my list of things I want. It'll be right next to chef and masseuse. (And boy toy...but that's a whole other fantasy.) I'm very optimistic about the long term benefits of this acupuncture thing and I think that's in part due to the fact that in this form of medicine (like with naturopaths as far as I understand it) they look at all of your symptoms and "problems" and treat you as a whole rather than, for example, healing your sore stomach with "stomach medicine".

Wait, I'm not making sense. I guess I'm saying that I think the human body is this beyond amazing complex system and when something's wrong it makes sense to try to "fix" more than just the main complaint because that problem may be the side effect of a larger issue. Hmmm, how can I make myself make sense here....

OK. When we talk about problems in society, people often talk about a "bandaid cure". Like, we move the homeless shelter out of the city so that the businesses aren't affected. Moving the shelter, however, doesn't do anything for the problem of homelessness, it just fixes one tiny aspect of it. Or, when we do a coat drive for the homeless; it helps, but it doesn't fix. Know what I mean?

So, following that analogy or comparison or whatever, I think a lot of times we go to the doctor and we get a cure for a problem. Or we get things that help the problem, but we don't often look at the big picture of what's causing the problem. (And, yes, I'm generalizing, that's ok... I'm allowed) It seems to me that this Doctor (of Traditional Chinese Medicine) is using the acupuncture to fix more than just my surface complaints; is fixing the whole problem instead of just making the homeless people go away.

Did that make any sense?

In other news (shot goes back to the attractive anchor man/woman) I spoke to Smith the other day. He'd sent me an email, a little unsure of how to talk to me since I'd said cold-turkey but then kind of reneged on it. We talked on the phone that night and I'm feeling better, kind of relieved. We didn't talk about getting back together or anything, but it was good to be able to talk.

I asked him about Acupuncture and told him about my work stress and we both agreed that we didn't really know how to proceed in terms of talking/not talking. Where we left it, I think, is that we'd call or email if or when we wanted and I guess we'll just make this up as we go along.

Talking to him meant I had to delete a couple of posts I'd started writing about how abandoned I felt, but that's OK.

I still agree with what I said, by the way. It's easier without reminders around to pine over when I'm really low. I think in our particular circumstances, talking sometimes is more natural. For us, anyway. We'll either just keep on talking, maybe become some version of "friends" or we'll sort of fall away from each other.

Or maybe it's a really bad idea to talk to him at all. I'll let you know eventually.

I'm just making this up as I go along anyway. Life, I mean.

My posts? I always make up as I go along!

Wha?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programs.

(Oh, wait, I forgot... another funny thing about being back at work and being stressed out and stupid busy is that I keep wishing people would slow down with the updates! Heh. It's like, when I was at home vegging all day I could read as many as often as I wanted and now that I have only my evenings for life and work and more work and stuff I can't keep up with it all as well. Crazy, no?)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Holistically" is definitely a better way to treat health problems. I was half-crippled with RSI a few years ago, and painkillers, wrist supports & ergonomic chair & keyboard had all done nothing.

Got a book called "Pain free" - turned out the problem was due to the position I was holding my shoulders. And that was down to a misaligned hip.

Treating symptoms and ignoring the disease is never going to work..

Victoria said...

Dominic, awesome! Holistially was totally the word I was looking for. Did I use it in my post? I forget. I'm a little scattered no?

Another thing that I thought while reading your comment is the fact that the word "disease" we tend to think of as something big like Cancer or Diabetes, but it's actually dis-ease... a lack of ease.

We want to be with ease, rather than without it!

Victoria said...

shoot... I meant "holistically" instead of whatever it is I typed up there.

I think I need to stop eating candy and trying to type

Delton said...

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but you're the one with the crazy fast updates that are nearly impossible to keep up with!

Glad to hear that the acupuncture still seems to help. I totally got what you were saying about the whole body healing thing. Somehow, it did make sense.

As far as talking to Smith goes, apparently you refuse to listen to you own advice, so here's hoping that it doesn't turn into another problem. Talking as friends is great. Allowing yourself to get all caught up with thoughts of him (as the mind has a tendency to do) can certainly be problematic. Just stay cautious! We were just starting to see you emerging from the cloud o' doom. :)

Victoria said...

Heh.

I think, Delton, that my posts will slow somewhat once I've been back at work a while. While I was on holiday I made a bunch of posts that I'll use when I've got no time to write new ones. Eventually I'll run out. : (

I am very cautious about talking to Smith, as friends or otherwise. I'm very caught up with thoughts of him no matter what I do right now and I'm aware of that too. The cloud of doom comes and goes. ( I think the acupuncture or the herbs they gave me may be helping... or maybe it's just time)

I am being cautious and do not want it to turn into a worse problem or make things worse. So, yeah, I'm watching it. Thanks! ; )

The Ex said...

I have nothing of value to add as per usual but HELLO THERE.

Victoria said...

Oh, a "hello" is totally of value!
: )

Michael Colvin said...

As you already know I like nothing better than to rant about work. It is my stress release valve. Though I realise this is a very dangerous thing to do and I do try to disguise it all up.

I am curious about your spy job.

Anonymous said...

My eight years working in clinical safety weren't completely wasted, then? ;)

Victoria said...

Curiosity killed the cat, Tod. (Or so they say!) ; )

No, dominic, not wasted! : D

dilling said...

I thought you couldn't talk about your work since it was SPY work...silly me...
now, what were you just saying?

Victoria said...

Ummmm, that's what I meant Dilling!

Spy work! Can't talk about it!

; )