Monday 5 November 2007

Little

Inspired in part by their cute ads (featuring people sitting by your light who cheer like crazy when you turn it off and other silly things) I've committed myself to reducing my energy use by 20% this year.

It's the simple little things that are going to make a big difference, small matters of convenience, really.

For example? I'm going to unplug my chargers when they're not in use. Sure it means reaching down and plugging them back in when I need to use them, but apparently if we all did it, we could power a small community! Also, I usually put my bedroom light on once it gets dark just because it feels cozier, even though I'm never in there until bedtime.* Well, all I do differently now is get up and turn it on when I'm on my way to bed and before I turn off the living room light and it still feels just fine and think of how much electricity I'm not using!

I'm looking forward to seeing how much I save just on my next bill. I don't use a lot of electricity as it is, but I'm thinking these little things may make a huge difference.

And then I'm going to imagine my posse of fans cheering me on every time I flick off a power bar at the end of the day. Yay me!


*Oh, also? I may possibly have been known to leave a light on in my apartment in the evenings so that if I went out it'd feel "like home" when I got back. Because apparently I was previously unable to flick the switch right. at. the. door. Sigh.

9 comments:

Likalia said...

It is so funny that you posted about this because I was just looking at my own BC Hydro Power Smart Profile and trying to think what else I could do.

I already unplug most things when they aren't in use. My biggest problem in my house is heat loss through my cheap old single pane windows. I would be far more energy efficient if someone would lend me the money to change them.

Like you say though, little things, so while I can't do that I use energy efficient light bulbs and live unplugged in the dark. :)

*cheers for Victoria's power smartness*

Victoria said...

Will you be the person carrying the giant #1 finger on my team? : D

Likalia said...

Well I was hoping to be the lightbulb head, but being the giant #1 finger person would be cool too. :)

Victoria said...

You know? When I thought of you I TOTALLY thought of the lightbulb head person! You're in! ; )

dilling said...

buy those nice energy efficient bulbs...initially pricey but a noticeable change in your bill, promise! Overall, we've always tried to be good, though I feel compelled, living here, to leave something on that makes the neighbourhood hooligans think someone is home even when I just jam down to the corner store and back. Al Gore might frown upon me.

Victoria said...

Nah, I figure if I wasn't in an apartment, I'd probably have a few of those light switchy things that went on and off automatically just to fool hooligans.
Hooligans need fooled.

Yvonne said...

add me to your cheering section!

I switched to CFL's years ago and was shocked that I didn't see a huge difference in my hydro bills. I wish the owner of my apartment building would get rid of the 30 year-old appliances and switch to power-smart ones!

My bills did go down drastically when my ex moved out since he "had" to have all his computer equipment running 24/7, even when we went out of town. "Just in case" he needed to log in to his computer remotely. >>;-<

Victoria said...

I'm sure this apartment is an energy nightmare too!

It's kind of surprising the things people leave on. I think most of the time we just don't really think about it, ya know?

Maplemusketeer said...

oooh what kind of cheering outfit do I get? ;)