Thursday 7 February 2008

D is for Democracy

When I think about Canadian music, the Tragically Hip are the band I think of first. Fully Completely is an album that will always be in my Top 10 and which defines a certain era of my life. Effing great album thank you very much.


The Tragically Hip - Fully Completely

"D for Democracy" however, is a song from another Canadian band, one that I've mentioned here before.

Spirit of the West is a great band and have had a number of kick-ass songs over a long career. I saw them in a small local club a couple of years ago and was blown away by their live show. These are guys who've been doing this (very very well) for over twenty years and you could tell it was their absolute passion. The show was fantastic and every time they played a song I realized I knew it. They're just one of those groups that get into your consciousness no matter what. They're Canada.

Their most famous song isn't even my favorite of theirs. It's a massive song, mind you and I've never yet been at a party where this song didn't stop the whole crowd and get everyone up and dancing. And singing. And shouting.


Spirit of the West - Home For A Rest

My two most favouritestest songs from SotW are probably "If Venice is Sinking"


If Venice is Sinking - Spirit of the West

and one of the greatest angry* songs I know,"Is This Where I Come In?"


And, of course, the beautiful "July", from which I've been getting some post titles.


July - Spirit of the West

But, I digress. When I thought "D is for...?", this song title sprung into my head. And there you have it. An entire post brought to you by the letter D.




D for Democracy - Spirit of the West

So go buy these songs already. Trust me.



* A song you sing when you're angry!

6 comments:

Likalia said...

Faithlift was one of the first cds I ever bought and still great to this day. Venice and Is This are two of my fav songs as well, of course I love them all, but those two are fantastic.

Victoria said...

Yep, yep, yep!

Jen Wilson said...

sweet! i love being introduced to bands i've never heard!

Victoria said...

Well, I hope you like!

dilling said...

D is for Daniel Lanois...

Victoria said...

Fair enough! : )