Monday 14 April 2008

Funny You Should Mention That


So I had a bit of an up and down week last week. Work had big stuff that I was worried about (but pulled off nicely with some awesome help) and I've been all over the map with regards to Bird.

Ok, maybe not all over the map... I feel like I spent this week wishing things were different and trying to magically change them; like, maybe if I word things *this* way he'll open up about things.

Of course, I knew better, which made the self-pity and slight moping worse. So after feeling a little bit like I've thrown myself at this guy (exaggeration, I know, I'm allowed to exaggerate, it's my story!) this week, I've promised myself I won't initiate contact any more. He knows my number(s), he has my email, he even knows where I live. If he wants to be friends (or more), he can call me.

Sigh.

It's just that when you get to that point with a guy who's not all that interested in you, the "wait and let him come to you" point, it really gets driven home that he's not all that interested. At least when you're calling him and stuff you can pretend he's interested.

Yes, sometimes we really are that pathetic, us girls. It might be genetic. I haven't done enough research.

But anyway, I was on one of my downswings earlier this week and a mutual friend of Bird's and mine (holy smokes, that sentence made no sense) a mutual friend of ours came on line while I was noodling about in Gmail. (Gmail has chat, did you know? Neither did I!) We got to talking and I told her I was happy to see her since I was kinda down with boy problems.

"Oh," she says, " didn't know you had a guy, you didn't tell me!"

"I don't have a guy," I said, "just thinking too much about one."

"Hey, you know what's funny?" She says. "I've always thought you and Bird should get together, you're both so sweet."

I think I may have snorted with the irony.

"Funny you should mention that....I've actually thought that myself."

Oh Universe, you're so funny.

Sigh.

17 comments:

Likalia said...

Good luck with the no contact it is hard. I have a post-it note on my vista tool bar that asks me, "why do you keep doing that?" with regards to talking to the guys that drive me up the wall.

They might be aggravating but knowing we've had great conversations makes it hard to stop conversing, so I still talk to them completely ignoring my note. :)

Victoria said...

Yeah.....maybe I should write myself a few post-its :)

LeahA said...

us girls sell ourselves short much too often dontchya think????

Anonymous said...

Funny, I just stumbled upon this blog and I'm in the exact same (well, maybe a bit differnt) situation. I mean, I'm not calling/writing/seeing a guy that I like because he seems kind of indifferent to me. Hard on the head. I like to walk around my house singing "Too Many Fish in the Sea".

Delton said...

Ouch! Tough way to get the point when the mutual friend brings it up. At least things didn't get too far along with Bird. As usual with you, you just need to allow yourself a little bit of time. Doesn't make it any easier in the short term though, I know.

Victoria said...

Leaha,we SO do!

Anonymous, hard on the head is annoying, he? I'm gonna have to go find this Fish in the Sea song now so I can join in on the singing of it!
:)


Delton, yeah, I just have to get through the short term. Ick.

Anonymous said...

I dont understand why girls get all wrapped up, upset or confused when guys are not that into them.

Every girl has guys that pursue them but they have no interest in them (ie., male friends, nice guys, etc). It works both ways, just like there are some guys that you are not just into that way, there are guys that feel the same way about you.
It is no ones fault, its just the way it is.

Kelvin Oliver said...

I guess this is the time that you know that you really are interested in this guy. Like you said, you should kind of wait for him to come to you since he may contact you since you may have not talked to him in a few hours or a day or two. Things take time and so does a connection of a wishful thought.

dilling said...

If you read someone else's post that said such things, what would your advice be?

Victoria said...

Anonymous, I know what you're saying, sometimes it just works that way. Doesn't mean we don't wish things were different though. And, to be fair, I must say I don't think I've ever really had a guy "pursue" me that I haven't been interested in. Or if he was pursuing, I didn't notice. *shrug* But, yeah, we can't all be lucky enough to have the interest work both ways all the time, for sure.

Yeah Kelvin, it's been a little bit of a surprise to find out that I really *was* (er...am) interested in this guy. Guess time will tell.
;)

Victoria said...

Dilling, that's a rhetorical question right? Right??? No... ok. Damn.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.....

*pout*

Anonymous said...

Um.

I have a hot 18-year-old brother.

I'm just sayin'...

Victoria said...

Eeeee, hee hee hee hee!

Silly!

Yvonne said...

What the hell is it with The Universe, anyway?! Benevolent being, my ass. The Universe is nothing but a Trickster, having cheap laughs at our expense.
Gosh that sounds bitter. ;)

Michael Colvin said...

Sometimes I think there must be an easier way than this.

Des said...

Hi Victoria,

Just started your blog a little while ago. I've never been to Victoria, BC, but Vancouver was lovely when I visited earlier this year.

Anyway, I know exactly how you feel when you say,

It's just that when you get to that point with a guy who's not all that interested in you, the "wait and let him come to you" point, it really gets driven home that he's not all that interested.

It sucks. And sometimes I think, well, maybe he's just busy (or make up "reasons" for him). When my more intelligent side is just telling me that he's just not worth all that time pondering about. You deserve better!

Victoria said...

Well, Yvonne, maybe it's Raven playing with me ;) It's all good, really. The Universe isn't being mean... just... silly ;)

Tod, there really must be!

Hi Des! Welcome :) Vancouver is lovely and so is Victoria, with just a "small city" feel to it :) But, yeah, it does suck and I TOTALLY make up excuses too while my logical side argues with me. D'oh! You're right :D