Thursday 10 April 2008

Knowing Better is Only Half the Battle


So, "walk away", say the instincts.

The instincts are pretty darn sure that following the whole Bird thing any further will end up in me feeling hurt and disappointed and let down, and then, most likely, mad at myself.

But knowing better is only half the battle.

I can sit here and tell myself that Bird's just not that into me.

I can sit here and tell myself that while I was wondering about him, he was dating someone else.

I can sit here and remind myself of the ways that Bird seems to be a little bit of a bad boy and how he reminds me of DD and some of the other guys I chased when I shouldn't have.

I can sit here and *know* that I shouldn't go any further down this path with a guy who isn't fully, totally respectful of me.

But knowing better is only half the battle.

I still have to do better.

But oh, the old habits and familiar patterns are so easy to fall into. And they feel so comfortable, even knowing that they'll most likely end up badly.

I promise you and I promise myself that if I don't start letting things slide in this next week? I'm going to take his number out of my cell phone for a while and I'm going to try really hard to be "busy" if he calls to hang out.

But damn, that's going to be hard.

What is it about the guys who don't want you that can be so appealing?

And why do they have to smell so good.

11 comments:

Likalia said...

Oh the smelling good is the worst, because just when you are finally convincing yourself to move on and forget about him you'll smell something that reminds you that he smells so good, then there is the evil downward spiral and you have to start all over again.

*sigh*

PS - having GI Joe flashbacks now.

Laura said...

Ain't that the truth.

Victoria said...

Likalia, new rule? Boys who are not "nice" boys don't get to smell good.

PS - why come?

Laura, the truth it is. Or... can be, at least.

Jenn O'Neil said...

Dammit they DO smell good....those bastards.

Victoria said...

Maybe nose plugs would help?

Likalia said...

The tag line for GI Joe was "Knowing Is Half The Battle" - they would have a little scenario at the end of the cartoon to "teach the kids something".

Yes - mean boys smell bad, nice boys smell lovely. Sounds like a good plan, or the nose plugs. :)

Victoria said...

I didn't know that was the tagline! I totally remember the "lessons" though. :)

Ok, how about nose plugs and smell changes!

The Single Girl said...

Not only do they smell good, they also have the best eyes. Being attacked by two senses is hardly fair.

Victoria said...

That's true. Attacking with two senses should be illegal. Illegal, I say!!!

Yvonne said...

I always thought it was just men who wanted what they don't/can't/shouldn't have. But we are susceptible as well, perhaps?

Victoria said...

Yeah. Prob'ly.