Wednesday 4 June 2008

Bang


So I got woken up last night by a really loud bang.

And I couldn't fall back asleep.

The reason I couldn't fall back asleep is that my brain automatically went into "think it through" mode. Which, for those of you who aren't familiar with it, goes something like this:

Hmm, that was a loud noise. I'm awake now. I wonder if that was a gunshot. Did I just get woken up by a gunshot? No. Gunshots don't sound that big. They sound thin. Have I ever heard a gunshot? I don't know. How would I know? I would just know, wouldn't I? Hmmm, I should blog this in the morning. (Yes, I really did think that at one something AM) So what was that noise then if it wasn't a gunshot, which it wasn't because I'd know if it was. I think it was a whole big plank of wood falling down from a very high place and going boom. Or maybe a whole bunch of planks but they all fell together. Like, maybe it's windy and they fell far and went boom. Which woke me up. Because now I'm awake. I wonder what time it is. One. Ok. I'd like to get back to sleep now. Why did no one else wake up? Why isn't the guy upstairs going to the window to check things out. I can't have been the only person that woke up. But then again, I'm not going to the window either.

Etc, etc.

The worst part about it all? Is I'd had super sweet dreams as I'd fallen asleep.

Damn planks of wood waking me up.

7 comments:

Likalia said...

I hate when that happens.

Hey, I just noticed that I have read the book you are reading now. Though I didn't notice until I moused over the link and saw the name, obviously it left a lasting impression. :)

Jenn O'Neil said...

I hate loud noises in the evening. I live alone and that sort of thing scares the crap out of me!

Anonymous said...

maybe you just dreamed it and woke yourself up. May explain why the upstairs guy wasn't investigating.

Anonymous said...

dreamed or dreamt? whatever, you know what I mean.

Victoria said...

Likalia, was it any good? The book, I mean! ;)

Jenn, I feel pretty safe in my apartment since I have floors above and below me and I figure the bad guys will go to the lower floors first and then the upper floors will hear my screams and rescue me! YAY!

Slinger, I'm pretty sure it was real and not dreamt... or dreamed.... or... whatevered! ;)

Jonathan Beckett said...

My other half didn't used to sleep well at all - mainly because while she was single the thought occurred to her one night "what happens if somebody breaks in".

Over the years we have been married she has slowly got better... now she sleeps like a log and is a nightmare to wake up lol

Victoria said...

Good thing you're there to rescue her.

AND wake her up! ;)