Saturday 13 February 2010

Well, We Can't All Be Smart All The Time


So you know how a lot of stores have those automatic doors where when you walk towards them they have a sensor and so they open automatically for you?

Yeah.

So I was heading into Thrifty's last week and as I approached the doors alongside an older gentleman I noticed the doors weren't opening.

There was this strange moment when we both got to the doors and they still didn't open and I didn't know what to do. My brain could not compute that the doors that always always just magically open for me weren't opening.

I turned to the guy and said "Wow, I guess we don't exist!"

He laughed and pushed the doors opened for us, which is good, because I'm not sure I knew how I was going to get into the store without the magic automatic doors' help.

And then I could stop giggling at how odd it had felt to have the doors *not* open.

And at the fact that I really hadn't known how I was going to get into the store.

I wonder how long I would have stood there just hoping they'd open?

But don't worry, I went to another Thrifty's today and I exist again.

It's all good.

15 comments:

Likalia said...

I often walk up to them assuming they are going to open and then they take their sweet time forcing me to choose between slowing down to a snails pace or walking right into them. Which happens to me all the time at our Thrifty's. I choose snail's pace, but I always feel like the entire world slows down when I do it, as if time stands still for a brief moment. :)

Victoria said...

So, really, the doors are forcing us into situations that explore the time space continuum and our own reality? Cooooooool ;)

the one in the back said...

HAHAH! You have a classic case of star trek syndrome...like the characters in the show when a malfunction prevents the doors from opening automatically...they're just lost without technology!

Joel said...

Stephen Hawking would be proud.

Laurene said...

This reminds me of that one time in a weekend vacation to Taipei. We walked up to a donut shop only to find their automatic door refusing to let us in. We were standing like tourists over there when suddenly a hand from a local couple who were going to go in suddenly pressed this button on the center of the door (it was placed exactly in front of our eyes, but we didn't notice). The doors opened. Idiots tourists, we really were.

Victoria said...

ToitB, I totally do! :)

I hope he would Joel.

That's hilarious Laurene! Hope the donuts made up for the "man don't we feel silly" feeling ;)

Ms Behaviour said...

At least you noticed it and didn't walk into it! Not that I've ever done that... ahem... on the shinkansen in Japan. At least I was little and everyone thought I was cute :)

Victoria said...

lol

Stephanie Hunter said...

I do the same thing with sinks! You know when you hold your hands under the faucet and the water comes out? Then I go home, and I will hold my hands under my own faucet forever wondering why the water won't turn on...

Victoria said...

HA! That's awesome! :D

Jenn said...

I have the same issue with automatic taps - the ones at my work turn on all by themselves, and I now stick my hands under ALL taps expecting the water to turn on, and get very confused (and sometimes angry) when the stupid things don't work. Until I realize that the stupid thing is not the tap...

Jenn said...

Glad to see I'm not the only one with the tap problem, but wishing I'd read that BEFORE I posted!

Victoria said...

Eee hee hee! :)

Yvonne said...

I am counting on you existing! I'd hate to think that you and your fabulous weblog are all in my imagination. ;)

Victoria said...

lol