Wednesday 31 March 2010

Creepy

I got a phone call from the bank yesterday; someone had copied my bank card and they'd shut it down and were sending me a new one ASAP.

Now, no withdrawals or purchases were made so nothing "bad" has happened, but I feel all creeped out and weird.

I know it's not personal, and the lady I talked to said that most likely a bunch of bank cards were copied at the same location at the same time and that their security found out before the fake cards were used but still. It's creepy.

I don't know where it happened or when or how. (I'll be asking the bank for that info though I think) I've only used my bank card at legitimate places and I've never let it out of my sight, so I have no idea how this happened and it's a really weird feeling of having something stolen from you without even knowing. Weird.

I wish we could go back to using cash. Real money. At least then, if you were robbed, it was face to face.

6 comments:

Ms Behaviour said...

Someone cloned my mastercard just before Christmas. I don't know how because I had it in my possession the entire time. Anyway, I canceled my VISA too, just in case. Christmas is not a good time of year to not have any credit cards! And I *never* use my debit card except at CIBC ATMs.

Victoria said...

Dude, it's wacky, eh?

Chris said...

I had used my debit card at a legimate business. However, there was an employee who was under surveillance. When the employee was *taken down* by RCMP, they found the employee had over 1,000 card numbers but didn't have the PIN numbers. My bank replaced my card immediately (phoned me and told me to go to the nearest branch immediately). They reviewed my transactions for the previous two weeks, but would not give me the info about where it was that this had happened. All I got was the two weeks timeframe that they double checked my transactions with me. Crazy eh!!

Victoria said...

That's totally crazy!

(Although, now I have a fun image in my head of the RCMP tackling some bad employee guy!) ;)

Viewership said...

This just happened to me on the weekend too. Are you with RBC? I guess it doesn't matter.

Apparently someone was trying to take out different amounts of money from ATMs but failed. Sounds like most of these would be thieves are pretty amateur. Lucky for us.

Victoria said...

I'm not with RBC, but that really doesn't sound like a smart criminal who got yours! Whew.