Thursday 3 June 2010

By Any Other Name


I love roses.

I imagine I always have, but it's not something I particularly remember from when I was a kid. I love roses and I love ones like this one with the multi-coloured petals and I love love love the scent of roses.

There was a wild bush of roses (or, I suppose, a bush of wild roses) along the side of the lot while I was waiting in Tsawwassen for the ferry this weekend and the smell of them was stunning. I wasn't the only one who literally stopped to smell the roses.

At some point this weekend, I had an intense craving for rose water. The only rose water I've ever tasted was made by a friend of mine last summer by taking the beautiful, scented, massive ivory roses from her garden and sprinkling some petals into a jug of water she kept in the fridge.

I don't know what "real" rose water tastes like but this stuff was divine. Cool, fresh water with just a hint of a scent. It was magical, I swear.

I love roses and I grew them back when I lived in a place that had a garden and they're finicky sometimes (especially the miniature ones) but I swear, I never get over how beautiful they are.

This is apropos of absolutely nothing, by the way.

How's your day going anyway?

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

My day? Long, hard work, but ultimately wonderful.

We just arrived home from a few days away. Trying to pick up the reins of our life back in normality (read:mayhem).

Victoria said...

Well, the wonderful part is good, yes? :)