Friday 23 July 2010

Bittersweet

How can you be laughing so hard you can't breathe one moment and then fighting back tears the next?

It's what they mean by bittersweet, isn't it? Spending time with your best friend in the days before she leaves to move three thousand miles away. Laughing so hard at the comments she makes about Frank while you're watching his confession on The Bachelorette that you snort. And then having to grab hold of the banister when you're leaving her place because she says something that makes you laugh so hard you can't breathe.

And then heading out to your car, taking a deep breath, counting down the precious few days that are left before she goes and telling yourself not to cry until you're out of sight.

Bittersweet.

Loving the time together but knowing it's limited. The last for a while. Whispering to yourself that it's not the last ever. It can't be. There'll be times like this again, forever; maybe it'll only be a couple of years and they'll come back. Maybe. Whispered promises you give yourself so that you can sleep. Whispered promises your whole heart hopes come true.

And then you make yourself think of something else.



My alarm is the radio and is pretty much the only time I listen to the radio anymore and even then, I usually just hit snooze once I hear it.

But occasionally I'll listen to a line or two before I hit snooze, or if it's a Zep tune, I'll listen to the whole thing, throwing off my morning routine of three-snooze-wakeup.

When I heard this song, I listened to the entire thing and then waited to hear the announcer tell me what it was called before I hit snooze. But I lodged it in my unconscious and later, looked it up and bought it.

I like it.

The lion made me think of it.


Mumford and Sons - Little Lion Man

4 comments:

Red said...

LOVE this song!! and you are the second person that i know that posted it.

And Ps. I hate that feeling as well. :(

Victoria said...

Cool!

(And thanks) :(

Jonathan Beckett said...

Oh - I LOVE Mumford and Sons - discovered them a few weeks ago while looking for new music to listen to :)

Victoria said...

:)