Wednesday 27 October 2010

Mind Games


I freaked myself out the other day.

As in, sat up in bed, heart racing freaked myself out. Over a guy.

See, a professional (if you can call them that which you can't really, but I know what I mean) runner came in to our run clinic to talk to us about injury prevention and I thought he was cute.

Now, this is nothing unusual as I tend to find elite runners attractive. A little bit crazy, but cute.

So I went home and googled this guy, again, nothing new. (I google all cute guys I might be interested in. Let's me see what I might be getting myself into. It's also one of the reasons I try not to be google-searchable. I like double standards that work in my favour.)

I googled him and noticed that he went to the same southern United States Unversity as one of my exes (also a runner) went to. Didn't think much of it though as there tend to be schools that are well known for their running programs and my ex had started down in the States and then come up to UVic for a while before leaving to head back home. (Taking one of my favourite rings with him because he promised me he'd be back and would return it then kind of like a promise ring but then he gave it to someone else and I nearly exploded but that's a whole other story and bitter much? Yes.)

As I was falling asleep that night, I thought about how this guy Drew had maybe been looking at me funny while he gave his talk and isn't it interesting how he had gone to the same university as my ex Andy. And then, as the mind often does in the half-asleep way it has, my brain went Oh Shit. What was Andy's full name? Andrew. What's another name for Andrew? Drew. Oh my God, this hot runner guy was my ex. And that's why he was looking at me funny and how could I have not recognized him, but maybe I did because it's been so long and his eyes do kind of look the same and what am I going to do?

But as I sat there in bed, freaking out, heart beating three thousand miles a minute I realized that, I needed to calm down and think rationally.

They'd both gone to Arkansas. Or was it Alabama. They'd both gone to the same college. Of course, they were the same person.

And Andy had obviously grown older and decided to change his name. Except...

Except, why doesn't "Andy" seem right. Crap, what was that ex's name?

Wait, no! Andy's name hadn't, actually been Andy, it had been Anthony. Tony for short. Not Drew or Andrew or oh man was that ever a close one.

Not sure why it was a close one other than I wasn't sure what I was going to do if the runner guy had been Drew or Andy or whatever/whoever I thought he was. But man, it was the weirdest thing.

I told S that I'd freaked myself out by thinking I couldn't even recognize my own ex-boyfriend when he was standing right in front of me, and she just thought it was funny that I'd forgotten an ex's name.

Which I guess it kind of was.

Is.

3 comments:

Kas said...

I WISH I could forget some of my exes names!!

teehee....


~Kas

Single and Picky said...

Well I am glad it wasn't a return of the ex. You aren't the only one though to have a moment like this - it is a small world.

Victoria said...

I bet Kas! ;)

Small world syndrome can be so weird SnP!