Friday 7 January 2011

Ohhhhhh


So do you remember that flickering light bulb? (No relation to the murderous light bulb.)

Well, here's what ended up happening. . .

It was back a few weeks ago when we were having lots of heavy winds and my parents' power kept going out. They'd quite regularly phone me to go on line and check when the power company was thinking they'd be able to have power restored, so I was used to having "the lights are out" conversations with my folks.

I tell you this to explain, perhaps, why I reacted how I did when, one night, as I was talking to my Dad on the phone, just having walked through my front door, still taking off my shoes everything went dark.

"OOH! My power just went out!" I said gleefully, starting to feel my way towards the wall.

"If your power's out," my Dad asked me calmly "how are you still talking to me on your cordless phone?"

"Ohhhhhh, right." I replied, my brain a little slow to process the fact that it was a calm, windless night and that yes, my electric phone was still working and um, well, maybe it wasn't the power going out but rather the flickering light bulb finally giving up the ghost.

"Er, yes." I mumbled, trying to change the subject but still stumbling around in the dark with one shoe off and one shoe on.

Sometimes my brain gets so excited it forgets to be smart.

My brain's a little like a puppy that way.

8 comments:

Constar said...

just blog hopping and i fell across your page.. and i was like " oh what a nice blog! i like the layout.. i wanna find more out about this person" so i clicked on the view profile link and thats when i noticed it.. no wonder i like your blog your canadian!!! YAY! i get overly excited when i stumble upon canadians! lol now im wondering if i should post this comment because it kinda sounds weird... and possibly creepy.... ahh what the hell! im going for it.

Kas said...

ROFL!!

Even 'non-Canadians' like your blog!!

Victoria said...

Well yay Constar! Your comment made me smile :)

Thanks Kas ;)

TL said...

I always try to call my parents to tell them that my power is out, and ALWAYS try to use the cordless phone...

Victoria said...

Oh, TL, that totally made me giggle. It's like when the power's out and I keep trying to turn on lights! D'oh!

TL said...

I lost power for 48 hours in September... I tried to turn on the lights every time I went into another room... For 48 hours...

Dominic said...

Do you ever lie awake in the dark, wondering if your lighting has gained some kind of malevolent sentience bent on inflicting the maximum disruption to your life it possibly can?

No?

That's ok then O:-)

Victoria said...

Awwww man TL! lol

Er, no Dominic? ;)