Tuesday 8 February 2011

(Not) Walking In A Winter Wonderland


Last week was a wintery, snowy one for much of North America; certainly for most of the United States and some of Canada.

It's at moments like these that I tend to scratch my head at the stereotype that's thrown at Canada as a snow-covered, ice-capped frozen tundra.

Certainly we have a lot of places that get a lot of snow and, yes, our northern places are very very wintery.

But for the most part, we're no more wintery than anyone else. AND, for our part? Those of us who live in balmy, rainforest coastal Victoria?

We really don't ever get "real" snow and we hardly ever get much snow.

So it's almost amusing to me to watch parts of the States dealing with massive snowstorms when I'm so very much not.

So the lesson here today boys and girls? Canada. . . not so snowy.

I think it's about time we let that stereotype go, eh?

10 comments:

Eric said...

Haha, yup! I think we did a pretty good job of showing that to the world during the Olympics last year... :)

Just Sayin... said...

No Doubt About It, Eh?

Single and Picky said...

Exactly - when I was in Houston last weekend, I mentioned to one of the pace leaders I was from Vancouver and it was stinking hot down there - anything above 15C with humidity is strongly warm in my books. Her response was "Oh wow it must be so cold and snowy up there." My normal response is we're like Seattle - it doesn't snow there that often - but she didn't get that there are no igloos.

My best friend suggested I in future remind the world of runners I come across that Vancouver had to truck snow in for the Olympics. Remember world we were and normally are THAT warm - well in our perspective.

Victoria said...

Well, only for those who were really paying attention Eric!

No doubt about it JS! ;) hee hee

Yeah, cold is a relative term SnP, but we're pretty darn warm compared to what most people seem to think :)

Anonymous said...

I so totally radded out on the awesomeness of your flickr photos. Did you teach yourself? Just bought a cam and read the manual? Whatevs, your pics are AMAZING.

Victoria said...

Thanks!
Yeah, I've always taken pictures and loved cameras so I guess I'd say I'm self taught. Lots of practice. I did take a course recently though to learn all the "real" stuff, but that's sort of aside from just loving taking pictures.
(Plus, the really bad ones never get online) ;)

Unknown said...

Personally I like to play up the stereotype, maybe in hopes that snowy winters aren't just a thing of the past...

Victoria said...

Well in that case, enjoy your evening in your igloo wearing your winter gear and ice fishing! ;)

Kas said...

We're sposed to have that icky stuff again tonite.

I moved to SC to get AWAY from that four letter word!! (moved from VA).



~Kas

Victoria said...

Awww man Kas! Well, I hope it doesn't last too long for you then.