Friday 23 September 2011

Nothing But

A lot of things changed for me at the time of my Dad's surgery. I became stronger in so many ways, and tougher in ways I maybe would rather not have.

Priorities and worries shifted and my sense of what mattered became clearer.

Some big picture things changed, and some small, seemingly meaningless things changed.

One thing that came out of it all is that I no longer particularly care about age when it comes to dating.

I used to have a real problem thinking of dating a guy who was, say, five years younger than me.

Now? Who cares?

If he's a good guy and we get along? I'm not going to care if someone says I'm too old for him.

Now, that's not to say I want to date the 58 year old guy who messaged me the other day, but I think I'm more comfortable with a spread of ages than I was before.

Why?

I don't know really. Except when you get right down to the things that really matter in life, age isn't one of them.

7 comments:

Kimmie said...

I'm learning to work thru the age thing myself. I'm currently "hanging out" with a guy 5 years younger than me. I felt awkward about it for a second, but I realized that it doesn't really matter. We have a lot of common interests, good conversation, and he makes me laugh. All definite pluses. I haven't yet figured out where I would draw the line above my age should it ever come to that...

It's amazing how our priorites and what-not change.

Mizkay said...

I'm starting to approach that way of thinking too, but for older men, not younger. If I go any younger I'd be hanging out at frat houses again (and that phase of my life is waaay over), but if I stay within my own age range, which is what I've been doing, the guys are starting to stabilize in their lives with jobs, careers, and real estate, but they're not at the point of wanting commitment. I think that biologically American men think they need to sow their wild oats throughout their mid-late 20s, and then once they hit their 30's something snaps and their one point of target is: Find wife, procreate.

Not that I want to be a wife or push out babies yet... but maybe a 30-something year old male might make me feel less crazed and confused. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

Mizkay! Age doesn't matter... a lot of guys in their thirties are still not ready to commit and act like frat boys! Don't think dating older guy means more security :)

And Victoria.. good for you... I have a thing for younger guys too these days teeheee

Just Sayin... said...

Love it!
I had the same realization after my folks passed on. The youngest I dated was 10 yrs younger. but he was more mature and had his stuff together more than men my own age do.

Good for you! Live life! Enjoy, build character and laugh! xo

Victoria said...

Sounds great Kimmie! :)

Huh, Mizkay, I haven't managed to run into any 30 year old guys who are ready to settle down... maybe I'm in the wrong town and we need to switch! ;) But, yeah, there's got to be an age range that won't make you feel crazed :)

Good for you Unknown :)


Yeah, it's just one of those things JS, :) And yeah, some "younger" guys will have their stuff together, and some won't. For sure.

Jonathan said...

Is this where I tell you Wendy is four years older than me? :)

Victoria said...

:)