Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Scratch My Head

I don't mean to sound preachy here, I'm just rambling about a difference of opinion I seem to have with some people.

If I know I'm going to have a drink, I plan not to drive.

(I don't like having even a drink with dinner and then driving, but I know I'm being extra sensitive in this case.)

I'm very lucky in that I live near enough downtown that I can walk places, but in the times I'm going somewhere where I can't walk home? I either don't drink or I don't drive.

I don't understand the acquaintances I have who have a few drinks and then offer to drive me home.

I mean, I understand the offer to drive me home, it's very kind, but I don't understand why you're driving.

I guess people think they know their limits, but that's the problem with drinking. You *think* you know things, when really, you're impaired.

You think you need to speak loudly, you think everything you have to say is funny/important/interesting. And when it comes time to leave, you think you're ok to drive.

And I'm not talking "I had a glass of wine with dinner three hours ago", I'm talking, we've had two or three drinks over the last few hours and I feel fine. Plus, my car's just parked across the street so why would I take a cab?

I know a girl who knows a girl who was the designated driver at a Christmas staff party.

She was pulled over, with a car load of her co-workers and found to be over the legal limit.

This is not a designated driver!

Again, I'm lucky that I can walk home from downtown. But it's also true that in this town a taxi never really costs more than $15 or $20 and most of them will take debit if you don't have any cash on you.

I guess I think these decisions should be made *before* the alcohol is consumed and I guess I think it's better to be on the overly-cautious side when it comes down to it.

We all think we're ok to drive after a few drinks, but driving is such an overwhelmingly large amount of processing and decision making and relying on split second timing and that's when things are going well.

I don't think drinking mixes with driving, and it always baffles me somewhat when I find I'm in the minority.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dominic said...

I'm the same - if I'm driving, then I don't drink. At all.

It annoys me when people find this such a hard thing to understand. But not nearly as much as it annoyed me the time someone decided that they didn't agree with the idea & spiked my drink...

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:11:00 am  
Blogger Stephanie Hunter said...

I totally agree with you. I have had, unfortunately, two friends who did not think the same way and they were killed in a car accident- no other cars were involved. They made a decision that they were ok to drive, but in reality they were not. I feel that it is needless and never needs to happen.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:53:00 am  
Blogger The Ex Student said...

I'm a big fan of the "let's plan this our before we go out" kind of thing.

If I'm going out for dinner and I want to have a drink with friends, I generally plan it so we go downtown and have a pre-dinner drink, then we go for dinner, where I stop drinking, then usually follow it up with a movie and post movie coffee session.

Maybe a bit over the top? But I'd rather not risk my life, or the life of someone else just because I wanted a glass of wine. That being said its also a great excuse to keep gabbing :)

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:08:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

That's creepy Dominic :(

I'm sorry Stephanie. Hugs.

I totally agree The Ex!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.