Monday 2 April 2012

Why Don't They Teach This Stuff In Schools?

I realized the other day, rather depressingly, that everything I know about relationships and love I learned from tv and movies.

And books too, I suppose.

But my guidance growing up and heading into my first relationships was from the Hollywood type love stories that only now am I realizing aren't how reality works.

Maybe some people's parents sit them down and talk about relationships and how they can work or could work or should work, but I'd venture to suggest that not many do, and where else do you discover about how to respect someone in a relationship and how to be respected in a relationship and what a real, healthy relationship looks like than through what you read, see, and watch.

When I watch shows nowadays that are aimed at today's teens or youth (yes I do watch 90210 and Glee, leave me alone!) I think they're being shown an even more unrealistic portrayal of love (and sex!) than I probably grew up with.

So, armed with this new realization; that my fairy tale romance is not going to actually be a Rom-Com Chick Flick, how do I figure out how to fall in love and stay in love?

Seriously, someone should have taught me how this really works.

4 comments:

Just a Girl said...

Well there was that one movie "He's just not that into you" ...but then again, everyone in that movie ended up living happily ever after anyway. You're right. Dang...

Victoria said...

I know, right???? ;)

Jonathan said...

I think everybody has to have at least two or three relationships crash and burn, and a few infatuations, and have to let somebody or other down gently before you really have a clue about the real world...

Victoria said...

Maybe, but I still don't have a clue about how to survive in the real world of dating...