Monday 23 July 2012

Melancholy

I'm still feeling rather blah from last week, and the news that the child of friends of mine has been diagnosed with juvenile diabetes has me feeling quite sad.

Kids aren't supposed to get sick or be sick or learn they have a life-long illness to cope with.

It's a rather hopeless feeling, not knowing how to comfort my friends. I know they'll be fine, but still. . .

Makes me want to hug my parents too. I was diagnosed with a fairly harmless but nevertheless life long illness as a ten year old and it's only now that I can imagine what they must have gone through.

I marvel at the fact that never once did they show me that they were afraid or upset, not even in the week or two I spent at Children's Hospital in Vancouver. (That place is the best, I had a blast, considering.)

Life's a funny thing, and I feel lucky every day that I'm healthy and well.

Kids shouldn't get sick, but they do, and it's sad. But kids are wonderful and little packages of joy that remind us to get out there and laugh and play and be silly and get as many hugs as you can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,

I don't blame you for feeling bummed about being treated that way. The least he could have done was contact you to tell you. Bygones...you deserve better.

I'm sorry for your friends' little one. I hope everything will be fine with the little person.

I know what you mean...I owe my parents a huge hug for that too. I can't imagine how scary it was for them when we found out the hard way I have a seafood allergy that causes anaphylatic shock. And a pretty severe case of asthma to boot. I know my various trips to the hospital as a kid, a teen, a young adult, and even last summer (damn wasp stings) is hard on them, but they never show it.

I hope your friends are as strong as my parents (and sounds like your parents) when raising their little person. I hope they can manage the medical issues and continue life like nothing is wrong. I know that's what my parents did for me and I rarely think of my health issues because my parents never made a big deal about when I was growing up.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

Awesome parents are awesome! I think my friends will be just fine.