Friday 7 September 2012

What's In A Name

It struck me the other day that I don't often get called by my name.

My family and friends generally call me by a nickname, or a generic moniker like dude, or even just sort of skip over it... "Hey!" or what may be.

And usually in a romantic relationship, one gets referred to as "Babe" or "Sweetie" or something similar.

I realized the other day as I was on a legal type phone call and the lawyer kept saying, "Well, Victoria, " that I don't often hear my name and I wonder if I miss it.

Not that I generally am any different. I'll refer to people by their name when I'm talking about them certainly, but I think when I'm talking TO people, I tend to use a nickname.

I like my name, but I don't get to hear it as much as I like, and when I do hear it it tends to sound formal, which is a bummer.

Know what I mean, or is this just a me thing?

(Oh, and also, I'm sorry to do this, but whenever I think about this, I start singing this. Sorry!)

4 comments:

kandijay said...

Nope, I totally get it. No one calls me Candace except doctors and sales people looking at my credit card. I'm Candy to so many people it would be nearly impossible to change now, but sometimes I wonder... should I ever just ask people to call me Candace?

Victoria said...

If you'd prefer it, I say go for it! There was a girl I worked with last year who asked that we call her Katherine, not Kathy, so we did.

Unknown said...

I always find it odd too when I think about it, how often no one uses my full first name. I like my name, but I also kind of like my nicknames.

Victoria said...

Totally :)