Friday 12 October 2012

OH!

I can't believe I forgot to tell you!!!!

Or, at least, I *think* I forgot to tell you.  New Blogger's search function doesn't seem to think I told you but maybe I did and just can't remember/find it because it was, like a month ago, so sorry if I'm repeating myself but still!

Last, month, maybe even exactly a month ago, I was headed downtown after work one day to sign up for a dance class (that I haven't told you about yet either I don't think.)  I was feeling pretty good, lots of energy and happy to be outside in such glorious weather (we really did have an amazingly beautiful September and so far October's been great too!)

As I bounced down the street, singing along in my head to the music from my iPod, a gentleman said something to me.

(And by "gentleman", I mean someone who was possibly crazy, but not in a scary way, just in a oh, dear, do you live on the street or are you just not quite, you know, entirely all there?)

I didn't hear him, so I stopped, and popped out an ear bud.  "Pardon me?"

"You are so beautiful!"  he exlaimed.

"Oh, thank you." I said, feeling a little shy, but who doesn't like a compliment, right?  And as I was putting my ear bud back in he went on, much to my chagrin.

"Would you like to go get coffee?!"

"Oh, um, no.  No, but thank you."  I said, feeling suddenly awkward and embarrassed that a possibly transient older man had been the first person to ask me out in ages.

I walked on, somewhat bemused when another street person stepped out in front of me.

I didn't think he was a street person at first, he was a handsome enough be-dredded dark skinned man and he wanted to show me his art.

So I figured I'd take a look, I wasn't in any rush, and then he pulled out a stack of crumpled photocopies and started to explain them to me one by one.

I've luckily had a little bit of experience with people who have a mental illness or disorder, so I let him talk for a bit and then told him to show me his best two.  I managed to extricate myself from there without too much difficulty, but it did make me wonder what it was about me that was making me seem especially approchable, but possibly only to men who were not really playing with a full deck of cards.

I'm sure it's ironic, or amusing, or something like, that, but the next day, back in my apartment, the sweet, but overweight neighbour I'd accidentally seen in his underpants a few weeks ago, and had always assumed was gay,  also asked me out for coffee and all I could think to say was "man, I just got asked out by a crazy person yesterday too!" which probably wasn't the best response.

But, there you go.

I got asked out twice for coffee last month.

By a street/crazy person, and an apparently not gay man who I've already seen in his briefs.

Being single rocks, y'all! (ahem)

Sigh.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

This made me laugh. Sounds like my life.

Victoria said...

High five for our awesomeness ! ;)

Anonymous said...

I think the fact that you got asked out during a time when you were felling very happy and positive is no coincidence. Keep it up:)
Robyn

Victoria said...

That's very true Robyn :)