Wednesday 21 November 2012

Unexpected

I'm On Fire by foundimagination
I was in a good mood too.

I'd had a good day at work, had come to some personal realizations (that I was going to blog about on the weekend, so the thoughts were running through my head) that made me feel confident and happy, and I was standing outside the grocery store, checking my shopping list to see if I wanted to do grocery shopping then, or to just head home and enjoy the rest of Friday.

So I was standing there, staring at my phone when I felt someone in my space.  I glanced up, and there he was, Vince, my ex.

He's older, of course.  We both are, but it's still him and my first thought was just that it was nice to see him, and that he looked silly in a suit.

I gave him a hug, we made small talk, and I let him wander off into the grocery store.

And then my brain yelled at me.

"VICTORIA!  You promised yourself!   You wanted to tell him last time you saw him and you didn't, and you were disappointed that you didn't, and it might be another three years before you see him again and you DO NOT want to spend another three years wishing you'd just done it.  So do it already!  Go after him!  Tell him!"

So I laughed, and went into the grocery store to find him.

(Now, those of you who've been around here long enough, know that this was a big deal for me, and should be proud along with me that I followed through and didn't wimp out, I wanted to do something and I did it, without talking myself out of it.  So... there's that.)

I found him right away and, still laughing, pulled him to a spot where there weren't many people.  

"Listen, I have to tell you something.  I promised myself if I ever saw you again, I'd tell you, and it's totally inappropriate and I really shouldn't say it, so we'll just pretend this conversation never happened, and will never leave this store, ok?"

I half realized he might be wondering if there was some long lost love child or something he really didn't want to hear, so I laughed again, finding myself very amusing (to myself.)

"Really, this is completely inappropriate, but I just wanted to tell you... you're still the best sex I've ever had."

And he smiled, and I smiled, relieved, and then he said "Thanks."  And I turned to walk away.

"Ditto," he said.

And I stopped.

"That wasn't supposed to happen." said my brain.

No shit Sherlock.        

4 comments:

Duff said...

Couldn't have gone better :)

Victoria said...

Maybe...

Sally said...

Wow. That's... too bad, for them.

But maybe he was just trying to be nice and return the compliment, and didn't realize what such a statement implied at that moment?

Anyway, admit it - you were flattered!

Victoria said...

Yeah, too bad for them, eh? And yes, maybe he was being complimentary? (And yes, I was flattered. Blush)