Wednesday 19 December 2012

A Small Twist

So the guy I was more interested in (who had become sick on his flight home) and I didn't manage to meet that weekend back, but I was mentally preparing for a meeting the next week or two.

And meanwhile, the other guy took off for the week, and we said we would go grab a coffee when he got back.

But I ended up being a little bit disappointed.  The first guy sent me a message telling me that he was actually just leaving for a couple of months for work, but that I could send him an email if I wanted to.  And he gave me his email address.

Now, ordinarily, I would not follow through with that.  What would be the point in emailing a complete stranger you'd never get to meet?  But I'd enjoyed our brief conversations and he seemed like a really interesting guy, who, at the very least, would have some great stories to tell and I figured it would be nice to have someone to talk to, and maybe when he got back we could be friends.

So I sent him an email.  "Would you like to be email pen pals,"  I asked? 

It just sort of seemed like maybe I could have a little bit of distraction through the next month or so, send an email or two back and forth with this guy, tell him about the weather, ask what it was like wherever he was, that kind of thing.

And so he sent me his first email from the airport, I can hardly remember what he was talking about, but it made me smile, and so we started being "pen pals."

2 comments:

michelle said...

I ended up dating a guy for 10 months after being email pen pals for a year when he was stationed in Iraq. We met once first, and he said the same thing, "we can email if you want". It was fun. Ultimately not the right match long term - I'll save that story for my blog :-\

Enjoy the flirting as pen pals it IS fun, just manage your expectations (easier said than done I totally realize).

Victoria said...

Well, that's cool but not cool all at the same time Michelle.

And, yes, managing expectations is waaay easier said than done, but...yeah. I'm aware, at least...