Tuesday 19 February 2013

Un-Named

Custom by foundimagination
I found the stickie note of Jay-related blog posts I made whenever back then it was I made it, and thought I'd take a stab at any of the topics that still felt relevant or important enough to type out here.

One of the things I'd nearly forgotten about was something that was happening a great deal, much to my chagrin, a month or so ago.

At some point my brain decided that Jay's name was so similar to DD's name, that I should start thinking of Jay as DD.

Now, I never called him DD when speaking to him, but when thinking about him, or even occasionally when talking about him to other people, the wrong name would slip out, or pop up.  And the more it happened, the more exasperated I became!

I mean, it's not as if they're anything alike, personality wise.  Other than them both being away for an extended period of time maybe.

And it's not as if DD was a good relationship to remember, or even that spectacular in any particular way, and if I'm being honest, it's almost as if my brain picked the poopiest of my exes to play the switcheroo with.

All I can really calm myself with is that their names are, sort of vaguely similar.  They're both two-syllables, and have the same ending sound.

Like, if one of them were Damon and one of them were Devon, that kind of thing.  (And, you have no idea how long it took me to come up with two names that weren't their real names but would work as examples.  I'm proud of myself you all!)

I told Jay about it, told him it was really upsetting me and worrying me because I didn't think of them as the same person at all and didn't want to be thinking of DD and didn't like that his name had attached itself to Jay.

Jay was good about it, admitted he nearly played a joke on me by signing an email "DD" and I told him that would have made my brain explode for sure!

But, yeah, that was a weird one, and not that Jay and I are necessarily going to end up having any hanky panky or anything, but man, it sure would suck if I used the wrong name at the wrong time, but at least he's been forewarned somewhat.

Just can't figure out why my brain's being such a meanie about it all!

No comments: