Saturday, 28 September 2013

Grody

One of the things that I noticed in the weeks before I left for Burning Man was this sort of a Spring Cleaning feeling.

Like, a need to get rid of unnecessary things around my place.

I gave away some kitchen storage containers I haven't used in months and then I started thinking about my duvet.

I'm pretty fastidious when it comes to cleaning my bedroom.

I have a sort of dust allergy.  It's maybe not an allergy so much as, when there's dust, I notice it.  I get sneezy.  Sniffly.  Will wake up with crusty eyes and a stuffed nose.

So, maybe that is an allergy after all.

Anyway.  I wash my sheets every week.  Probably shouldn't as it tears them apart pretty quickly, but I also sleep a la (I want to say a la mode, but that means with ice cream, no?) naked, so I figure I'm keeping away the germs or skin dust or whatever by washing my sheets.

And I dust and sweep my floors, too and my bedroom is pretty free of clutter.

I notice on the weeks when I don't dust that my eyes and nose are icky by the morning.

Well, it occurred to me last month that I don't remember the last time I'd washed my duvet.

Or the cover.

And I wasn't particularly bothered by this, because, well, I wash my sheets every week.

I debated and debated taking my duvet and cover to a wet cleaner (the more environmentally friendly version of the dry cleaner) but they said they'd need it for four or five days and even though it's summer, I still like my blankie at night.

I hemmed and hawed, but didn't like the idea of coming back from Burning Man to a dirty(ish) duvet so I decided to wash it.

I looked up on the internet how best to do this, and then I spent most of a Saturday washing, and rewashing and then dry dry drying my duvet and its cover.

Now, that's not the part that shocked me.

What shocked me was when I unzipped the cover.

And saw the piles and piles of dust in the creases and edges.

Oh.  My.  Goodness.

I guess I'd never washed the thing.

Like.  At all.

Somehow it just didn't occur to me.  My parents bought me a brand new, fancy, expensive (they had it made! At a store!  It's cool!) duvet cover, and I never wanted to ruin it.  Or.  Something.

Because the amount of dust was disgusting.  Or, at least by my standards.

I vacuumed the thing first.

Which was gross.

And then washed it.

I don't know why, you guys.  But all that dust that had been falling on my floor, and on my bureau and chest of drawers?  I never thought through the fact that it was also falling on my duvet.  It just... I never thought about it.

But it had.  So I washed out years and years worth of dust and let's not talk about what all dust is made up of, let's just say that I followed the internet's directions and washed and carefully dried both my duvet and my duvet cover.

And I noticed that the cover did look a different colour.  Lighter.  Er... maybe... dust... free.  Ahem.

Totally gross.

But the best thing of all?

I woke up the next morning and for the first time in months, did not have crusty eyes or a stuffed up nose.

Go figure.

So now you know how I was accidentally gross and disgusting and didn't even know it.

The more you know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.