Tuesday 7 January 2014

A Direction

Winter is Nigh by foundimagination
I found myself watching some crows the other day, hopping from branch to branch.  Flying away from each other.  Following... or chasing... and I found myself wondering what they're thinking.

I think way too much.  Especially with regards to what people think of me... most especially guys.

So I'm sitting there watching the birds, wondering what thoughts they have.  And if they're anything like the thoughts we have.

And are there any animals that worry?  Or... are anxious?  Certainly I've met dogs that have mellower personalities and more... what I'd call anxious personalities.  But what... how... are they thinking?

Are there whales that are upset that their whale partner didn't bring them enough food as a sign of... affection?

Do llamas get jealous?

Are there other animals that sit and analyze things until they feel crazy or is that a solely human trait?

I'll probably never really know any answers to this... and they probably don't matter, except if somehow I can find a lesson in watching the birds.  If I can emulate that .... less "thinking" manner.

I think when I was doing mindfulness more regularly it helped calm the thought rapids.

Exercise helps too, but I'm a little limited by my rib healing at the moment, so just slow going there.

I think if I can also learn to recognize when I'm not doing myself any favours with my thought spirals.

I still sometimes find it helpful to write about them here, kind of gets them out of my system, but maybe if I can try to reduce the other times, the future prediction, the mind reading...

Anyway... it's a direction to point myself in, for sure.

4 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

My parents had Newfoundland dogs years ago, and they are famous for being manic depressive. The older one (Bosun) bonded with my Dad when he was young, and if my Dad went out without him, he would throw himself on the floor like the world was ending...

Victoria said...

Awwww :(

Unknown said...

Hi Victoria,

My name is Nathan Ives, I'm an indie filmmaker and recently wrote and directed 'It's Not You, It's Me,' - A Serious Relationship Comedy. It's an edgy, fun look at relationships from inside our heads. It stars Vivica Fox (Independence Day), Joelle Carter (Justified), and Ross McCall (Band of Brothers). Here is a link to the trailer: http://vimeo.com/83004036

Instead of signing with a distributor, I'm doing a grassroots tour, an NPR interview and Film Independent article are below.

I wondered if I could either send you a link to watch the film, or send you a DVD, if you enjoy it, maybe you'd write a blog post about it.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration, I hope your day is going well!

Best,

Nathan

NPR Interview: http://wcqs.org/post/its-not-you-its-me
Film Independent Article: http://www.filmindependent.org/blogs/greetings-from-the-trenches-what-i-learned-about-d-i-y-distribution-by-touring-with-my-film-in-the-back-of-my-truck/#.UuFUUNLTnMx

Victoria said...

I'll think about that, thanks.