Thursday 20 March 2014

On The Missing

On The Turning Away by foundimagination
I really like the NBC show Parenthood.

It's a show that's based around a family and man, they may have "struggles" with each other, but damn they're a perfect family.

Or, I suppose what I realized last show was that they're "perfect."  As in, not real.

See, I was watching one particular episode and all the (adult) siblings came over to their sister's place to support her through a difficult time and had this awesome evening of wine and fun and dancing to the radio and I was just so jealous.

Like, why can't my family be like that?  All super amazing best friends?

And while I was pouting about that I sort of realized that this show is just like most, if not all of the rest of what shows up in Hollywood, in movies and on tv. 

Not reality.

Maybe there are some families who have lives like the Bravermans do, but maybe it's just a make believe show about a really awesome family that is as unrealistic as a Prince coming to find me after I leave my shoe at a ball.

I don't know.  Sure, I wish my family was like the Bravermans, but in the same breath, they're all actors in a scripted show and I guess I should be admiring the writing, acting, directing, and whatever other stagecraft has made me believe that they're real.

Anyway.  Babble, babble, babble.  How's your week going?

7 comments:

AFST said...

Ah, Hollywood strikes again! As If life could be so perfect....

It's pretty ironic how Hollywood actors and actresses live those ideal lives on television, then go home to exact opposite surroundings as the characters they play.

Good, thanks for askin'!

*This may sound naïve, but I didn't know NBC aired up there in Canada!

AFST said...

Oops, forgot to ask how was your week...!

Victoria said...

Wait... are you saying that the Bravermans are... actors? Whaaaa? Here I thought it was a reality tv show! ;) But yeah, good point.

Oh, and glad we both had good weeks.

And yes, there are a few US networks we can get up here (in my province at least) that I know of :) Not naïve, adorable! :D

AFST said...

Just wait until you hear that none of them are even related to each other!

Oh. Oops...

Victoria said...

*faints from shock*


;)

Elliott said...

It's hard to get TV in our igloos over here in Ontario...

Victoria said...

Well that's true, but here in Victoria, we're technically over the 49th parallel or something so it's all good. Hope your dog sled team is good! ;)