Friday 21 March 2014

'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy*

Following up on the lunchtime conversation we had in our staffroom secret bat cave room the other day, one of the girls mentioned that for her entire life she thought the phrase/saying was "vein of my existence" rather than "bane." 

The way she told the story was hilarious, she explained how all her life she'd been making this dramatic statement about how this situation or that person or what was going on was just the vein of her existence... accompanied with a dramatic sigh. 

Until just earlier this year when one of her friends finally said "are you saying vein or bane?" and after a short, confusing argument she realized she'd never had it right.  But that now things are the bane of her existence.

We all had a good laugh about this and then someone else piped up.  "I always thought it was for all intensive purposes... rather than for all intents and purposes" and we had a giggle at that too.  Partly because it's fun when people don't mind showing their weaknesses or sillinesses, but also because we've probably all done something similar at some point.

So, what about you?  Any not quite so right sayings you thought you had pretty down pat?




*Misheard lyrics are lots of fun too!

6 comments:

Bad.Days said...

Not so much a saying, but a name. I was calling Hoar Frost "horror frost" until just a few years ago. It was my kindly mother who finally corrected me.

kandijay said...

When I was a kid, I thought it was the "windshield factor" rather than the "wind chill factor." Like how cold it felt on your windshield or something?

Victoria said...

But it's the worst, most terrifying frost there is BD!!!!! ;)

That makes sense to me kandi... like with the wind pushing against the outside of your windshield it must be way colder....?

Heh

kandijay said...

Windshields are like, super cold in the winter. Haven't you ever touched one? :)

Victoria said...

Sometimes they freeze and you have to scrape the ice off so yeah, so cold! I try not to touch them, cuz I listen to the windshield factor warnings! :D

kandijay said...

LOL!