Friday 9 May 2014

Mindful-tation

Nearly two months ago, a spy friend of mine passed on some information about a study that was being done around positive psychology, meditation and spies.

Her friend (the lead of the study) was looking for spies who could commit to ten minutes of mindfulness meditation (I'm starting to think they mean the same thing) a day and I figured I could do that and that it would probably be good for me.

The first week was bizarre.  I'd do the (guided) meditation and have no recollection of what was said.  I swear the first week's recording said something different every day.  And a few days I kind of nodded off during.

There have been some weeks where I haven't connected with the meditation (the topic/focus changes each week) or where I've stayed at Jason's for a night or two and therefore not done the meditation but all in all, I've been meditating an average of six (sometimes seven) days a week for almost two months (seven weeks) and I think it's been doing me good.

Last week, I also picked up a meditation app (called Headspace I think) that is another ten minute meditation a day so I've actually been doing about twenty minutes of meditation a day for the last few days.

Again, some days are easier than others.  Some days I drift off, some days I can't calm my mind or focus, and some days I feel like it'll be annoying to do it.  But I do think I'm feeling calmer for it.

Or, as I said to Jason.  I can't say for sure that it's helping, but I know for certain it's not hurting so...

Yeah.  I'm fairly sure it IS helping... but even if it's just doing no damage, I think it's worth it.

I also think the fact that it's ten minutes helps, because it feels doable.

But, yeah... it's some good stuff this mindfulness... meditation... mindful...tation?

2 comments:

AFST said...

Do you go, "Ohmmmmmmm..." while you're meditating? :D

*When you say, "spies", are you serious? Like you're an employee of some clandestine government agency?

Victoria said...

I don't. I actually don't say anything! :D

No, I'm not actually a spy. (Unless I am and I'm now covering myself?) ;)