Monday 12 May 2014

Scent

Jason and I went on a hike yesterday and because it was sunny, I grabbed some sunscreen and sprayed (what a cool invention, may I just say, spray on sunscreen!) some on.

We were mid-way through the hike, and stopped for a while to soak up some sun and take some pictures of the beautiful coast.  (I am so grateful to live in such a beautiful place!)

I was sitting there and all of a sudden, I realized I smelled like Burning Man.

I sat there and tried to figure it out... was it because I was wearing the same camelback as I had worn at Burning Man?  No... I'd used it since.  Was it because I had Burning Man on my mind a day or so ago?  No... that wouldn't make me smell like Burning Man, weird thought brain, but thanks.

It wasn't until we were back in the car that I realized what it was.  The spray on sunscreen was the sunscreen I used at Burning Man!  So the smell of it, combined with the sunshine made my brain, very powerfully, think of Burning Man.

Scent can be a powerful thing, and I couldn't help but keep smelling my arm for the ride back.

(A weirdness which Jason didn't comment on, bless his heart.)

So, yeah, if you want to know what Burning Man smells like to me?  It's a combination of the sunscreen I used, and chalk pastels.

2 comments:

kandijay said...

I opened a bottle of Jergen's lotion a few months back and got teary-eyed. It reminds me of my grandmother, who passed away last year. Smell is VERY powerful.

Victoria said...

aww, hugs