Friday 24 April 2015

You Know?

There's often an awkward moment or two for me when I "go out for drinks" with friends nowadays because I generally don't have as much to drink as they do.

Which is fine and all, except that I'm sober(ish) and they're not and sometimes they say things I don't know if they really mean.

And I think when everyone's the same level of tipsy these things are maybe not heard, or not remembered but I'm... usually clear headed and so I'm left feeling uncomfortable or odd and then wondering if I should bring it up the next day or just let it go as a drunken mind-slip.

It always makes me feel a little uncomfortable because sometimes the things that are said are a little mean, or sometimes they're secrets that may have been let slip, or thoughts or ideas or just generally things that they probably wouldn't have said if they'd been utterly clear headed.

Anyway... it's just an odd thing... to not know if people meant what they said because they have more alcohol in their system than I do.

5 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

As the one usually more sober than the people around me (and often the designated driver getting friends home), I've heard way more then I should from people.

Which tends to lead to a lot of "How do you know me so well?" type comments when I give some insightful piece of advice or commentary.

If only they knew just how well I know them. :/

Yvonne said...

Hey you're a spy, discretion is your specialty!
I was expecting you to say that you end up driving everyone home all the time. lol

Jonathan Beckett said...

I seem to have some peculiar skill where people just plain talk to me - about anything and everything. I must have an invisible "good listener" sign on my head. When I got my hair cut the other day the girl cutting it basically did a chunk "unload" on me...

Elliott said...

I'm usually the sober one too. I've had some pretty odd conversations over the years. I don't bring the conversations up unless the other person asks if they said such and such...I usually just yep and tell them not to worry about it.

Victoria said...

Fair enough Jason! ;)

This is true Yvonne. I have driven people places, but usually I leave too early for most! Or, I walked there myself :)

Well good for you Jonathan, even if you don't always want to hear it, I value people who are easy to talk to and who seem to care when they listen :)

Exactly E ;)