Thursday, 16 July 2015

Awkward

I am, as we know, overly sensitive to not wanting to upset people.  Often, especially strangers.  Which maybe makes it even weirder.  Or certainly more frustrating on my end... anyway...

I was buying groceries earlier this week and the person serving me was a young woman.  Early twenties maybe.  A bigger woman, with glasses and a ponytail.  And a name tag that said James.

And I wanted to ask her about her name.  Because James is a cool name for a girl and maybe there's a cool story about why she was given it.

But then I thought I shouldn't ask.  Because maybe she's in transition and James will be her name.  Or maybe... I don't know.  Maybe she would have thought I was incredibly rude to ask? 

Or, really, maybe she forgot her name tag and just grabbed a random one.  Or maybe her name just looks like James and is pronounced some other way or maybe I'd offend James by asking gender related questions.

Argh.  And ugh.  I just wanted to know what the deal was.  But I couldn't think of a way to ask that wouldn't potentially upset or make me seem rude.

It shouldn't be this complicated y'all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne Roy said...

Might the tags at the shop be surnames? Calling people by their surnames is often done over here (England) ... but I think using the name tag of someone else is likely ...
you could hold it as a mystery ...

Cdn Anne in England

Thursday, July 16, 2015 9:46:00 pm  
Anonymous Bad.Days said...

As a girl who has a traditional boy's name, I'm a little tired of having people ask me about it...because almost everyone does.

It's not like I had any control over it, it's just a name that was in my mom's family and my parents liked (so no crazy interesting story). I find it really weird when people compliment me on it or tell me it's neat. I smile and nod, but it's just my name.

Friday, July 17, 2015 7:38:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

I suppose it could be Anne, but that's not typically done in this store.

Thanks for the insight Bad.Days! I appreciate hearing that :)

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:58:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.