Friday 24 July 2015

Commonalities

C-Dawg's getting married this weekend and we had a girls' evening out earlier this week to celebrate.

At one point over dinner, the ladies started talking about their birth stories.  (One of the gals is a fairly new Mom and someone was asking her how it went and it all just snowballed from there.)

It's a strange experience, to sit at a table of people all around your age and to not be able to relate to something they all have in common.

It didn't upset me particularly, it was just weird.  Odd.

I felt somewhat similar when I was hanging out with Jason after work last week and his buddy came over and started talking cars.  I had absolutely nothing to add to the conversation and so didn't hang around.

But this time?  It wasn't just that I had nothing to add to the conversation it was that added piece of somehow feeling left out or different or not in on some "women of a certain age" secret club or something.

Or a not so secret club I guess.  But yeah.  That was a little bit of a mind bending moment.

I was the only woman there who has not given birth and is not raising a child or children.

Shrug.

2 comments:

Elliott said...

I went from bachelor to dad (well, technically step-dad) of 3 almost overnight. All my other friends were married, but none had kids. I became an outcast instantly. Now our kids are all grown and at university and all my friends still have kids in high school or elementary school. Outcast again.

I've had many of those experiences, especially considering I don't have any "bio" kids. I continue to believe that type of thing should not define you, good or bad.

You're living your life and there is nothing wrong with that. Their lives are just different from yours and that is neither good nor bad...just different.

Victoria said...

Very true E. :)