Tuesday 18 August 2015

Double Double

Packing for two fairly back to back, but physically different trips is.... well, not too bad, really, just takes a lot of organizing.  Something I'm not too bad at, so yay for that.

The thing I'm finding is taking the most balance actually is stuff like socks and undies.

Because the trip with my family is going to be much much much more inclusive (food and accommodation wise) and a lot less hot than my trip to camp in the wild Nevada desert.  So my clothes won't particularly overlap, except for a few things that I will have to wash and repack for travelling down into the warmer States.  But undies?  Can't pre-pack those, gotta wear them!  Need them for both trips, and as I almost found out the hard way, still need them for the days leading up to the trip.

Not wanting to go out and buy extra pairs of undies or socks, I think I've got enough for the family trip and maybe even enough for a workout or two (we shall see, good intentions anyway) and I should cope with what I have for Burning Man, although more socks would always be nice as fresh feet when you're coated in dust can be quite delightful.

So, I'm thankful that I'm going to be in two different climates and that I'm not needing camping gear for both trips.  I've made my lists, and am (other than socks and undies and travelling clothes) all packed for Burning Man so when I get home from this trip, it'll be laundry and repack and good to go.  Hopefully I'll have a couple of days to just relax and reacquaint myself with my own bed and zone out between the two trips.

But, yes.  Double packing just takes longer (Burning Man prep and packing takes me a while anyway) and makes a bigger mess and means you have to remember to leave yourself socks and undies to wear in the days leading up to your trip.

Now I know!