Thursday 11 February 2016

I Don't Know

The doctor calls them "panic attacks"  because of the physical symptoms that are manifesting.  I don't know about that and don't like the term anyway, but that's not really the point here.

The point is, as I was going through one of these "feeling really awful" moments yesterday I realized I'm weird about medicating during those moments.

Like, I have some stuff that my doctor gave me ages ago when I was freaking out about flying, but I still haven't ever really used them.  But I also have some natural stuff that was recommended to me and some other natural stuff that my acupuncturist is having me try.

And yet, when I'm in that state of feeling awful, I think I forget.  Or something.  Or maybe I feel like it's not "bad enough"?  Like the times over the last few months when it was really really bad?

I don't know.  I just was curled up on my couch yesterday, trying to take calming breaths and I realized... I haven't taken any sort of medication, natural or otherwise to try to help me through this... what's that about?

So I got up and chewed one of the natural chewy things and put some of the droplet stuff in a glass of water and drank it and maybe it's that I can't tell if they work... there's no instant relief.  Maybe it's that it's a gradual calm that it doesn't seem like something I would think of.  It's not like putting ice on a burn.

Or maybe I want to be stronger than those feelings and force them away myself.

I probably do that with other things at times too, but even with a headache... once it gets to a certain point/level/length?  I'm going for that advil.

Something for me to think about...

7 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

There's possibly some placebo effect in play. We have a headache, we take a pill and feel better because we expect to (and then eventually the medical effects kick in and we actually feel better for reasons).

Maybe you just don't believe in the medicines for you attacks, so they're not the first thing that comes to mind?

Victoria said...

Maybe?

Jason Langlois said...

I feel like I was going somewhere with that thought, but now I can't remember where.

I guess you need to convince yourself that the meds work, and that'll get you in the mindset to use them.

Elana Elizabeth said...

I am right there with you! I was suffering from some serious depression earlier this year that yoga/therapy/positive thinking was just not helping. I went to see a psychiatrist my therapist recommended and i tried an anti depressant. I was so nervous and caught up with anxiety about taking the medication in the first place that it didn't help. I was also obsessing about side effects and withdrawal and I had not even been on the medication a month. I did actually have some bad side effects and i decided to stop taking it but the doctor prescribed me another kind to try and I just couldn't bring myself to do it! I don't know if it is because I know too much (future nurse...) or a mental block or the stigma but I couldn't. I know that for some people medication has absolutely saved their life, and I have seen that too! I also know that for some people the natural route can work also, but it didn't feel like it was working for me at the time and like you it's especially hard for me to come down when I am so worked up, I just forget everything and get so consumed. I don't know what the answer is when it comes to drugs either, I wait until forever to take advil also and then I am so glad when I did and wonder why I waited! Anyhow, food for thought and you are definitely not alone. :)

Victoria said...

I hear ya Jason.

Big hugs Elana.

Yvonne said...

If you ever discover something that quickly soothes a panic attack, please share!

Victoria said...

I've had some good results with Skullcap (tincture in water) and my acupuncturist is having me try a chewable GABA supplement that she says people really like.