Thursday 17 March 2016

The Fortunate One

One of the groups I'm on on a social networking site sometimes has rental place ads pop up.  They're generally in the Bay Area of California, and I'll often click on them as that's where I might have been moving to had things kept progressing with Max and I.

And here's the thing... I know living where I do right now I pay a fair amount in rent.  I know I could move and pay less, or even move elsewhere in the province and pay much much less.  But I'm willing (and able, thank goodness) to pay what I'm paying now to be here, in the place I'm in, in this lovely little town right by the ocean.  I like it here.  My only complaint about my place is that I'm not allowed a dog.  That may be the reason I choose to move some day.

I'm thinking about all this right now because the last two postings I saw in this group were for rooms.  Not an entire apartment, but a room in one.  For the same amount I'm paying for my entire apartment.

It flabbergasts me to imagine paying two or three times what I'm paying now.  To be honest, I wouldn't be able to.  Or to be paying what I do for just a room.

I know that there are reasons things are that way and that people are rightfully concerned.  I'm not intending to get into that.  Just to say that I feel very fortunate for my current living situation.

Very.

5 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Poke your head into the rental market in downtown Vancouver, and prepare for the same sticker shock.

I feel lucky to live where I do.

Victoria said...

Yeah...

Elliott said...

Same as in Toronto. Our house and property (2.5 acres) would likely run close to $2M in TO...who can afford that???

And we like it in our little village with a view of Lake Ontario. TO is only an hour away...perfect compromise.

kandijay said...

To be fair, that is one of the most expensive places in the country. New York City is probably the absolute worst...

My brother lives in Chicago. His house is half the size of mine (and he has twin toddlers) and is worth three times as much, just because of where he lives.

Victoria said...

Crazy, E!

Yeah, fair enough kandi