Thursday 12 May 2016

Let's Do The Laundry Warp Again!*

So there's a time warp in my laundry room.

No, but really.

See, my laundry room (shared in the building) is at most, a minute away from my apartment.  And the washing machines have a timer on them.  So, every time I start a load, I walk back to my apartment and on my microwave timer, put in the number of minutes until I have to go change the load.

I think a heavy/large wash takes 39 minutes, for example, so I'll get it started, check it's actually going (sometimes the load won't start if the door hasn't been fully shut and locked, so I wait til the water actually starts running) then I head back to my apartment and set the timer for 39 minutes.

So if you add in the minute or so it takes me to hear the microwave buzzer go off, put aside whatever else I was doing, make sure I have slippers on, or whatever, it's usually a few minutes past 39 minutes that I get back down to the laundry room.

But lately?  And especially this last couple of times?  I'll get down there and there are still two or three minutes left in the cycle.

What?  How?

So, clearly, the only explanation is that time is somehow slower in my laundry room than in my apartment.

39 minutes of laundry room time does not equal 39+ minutes of apartment time.  More like 39 = 43.

Now, how to profit from this... that's the next step!



*It's just a spin to the right.... and then a load to the left.... you bring your stuff to the room, and put your clothes in tight... but it's the dryer buzz, it really drives you insane, let's do the laundry warp agaaaaaaain.

6 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I have the same issue (aggravated by my apartment being right across the hall from the laundry room). Start laundry, machine tells me 35 minutes, set my timer. 35 minutes pass, go check the laundry and it's usually reporting 9 minute to go!

I've decided the laundry is like the Windows 'download time remaining' calculation, and is at best a vague indicator of when it might happen.

Victoria said...

Ok, but if we could somehow combine your laundry time warp with mine and who knows how many others in town.... couldn't we time travel or maybe at least get rid of the time change????

Elliott said...

Sorry, no helpful suggestions, but thank you for the earworm.

Victoria said...

Oh, you're welcome! ;)

Anonymous said...

Are the washers of the HIE variety? I understand that if they aren't maintained (they have a filter that needs to be cleaned) that the loads can take longer and longer as time goes on. Might explain your time warp!

Victoria said...

Brilliant! Yes they are! Thank you, thank you!!!