Tuesday 15 October 2019

Morning.....Nope!

Lots of people exercise very first thing in the morning, or so I hear.

And there is certainly a lot of talk out there about this.  A lot of "just get up and go!" and "it'll become a habit" sort of things and, well, that's just not always going to be the case.  But I'll just speak for myself here...

My body struggles with mornings.

Always have.  I assume it's likely I always will?

I can't, for example, just get up early.  My body revolts.  No, I'm not exaggerating, I get physical symptoms of upset if I try to push myself awake before my body is used to.  (Generally they're gastrointestinal type upsets, which can set off to ruin an entire morning/day.)

The few times I *have* to get up early, say for a flight or travel, or the few times I ran a 10K I would get up early and take stomach type meds.  I learned that the hard way.  So.. .there's that.

 But let's say I'm managing to get up at a decent hour.  Which I am these days.  Some days I'm ok to do some gentle exercise, what I call my "living room cardio", and some days I have to wait a bit before even that.  But last week I gave something a go and I'm not sure I'll be doing it again.

I tried a gentle yoga video right after getting up.  It's a video I'd followed before so I knew it was easy and not "too much" but mid way through I had to stop because my digestive system was suddenly very upset.  And sure, we could argue that yoga does that... or that maybe I'd just eaten something bad the night before, and both those things could be true, but I was then "off" for the rest of the morning and far into the afternoon.

So the idea of getting up and taking my body for an actual gym cardio and workout?  That's not realistic for me.  Not right now, and I'm not sure when, if ever.  Some walking on the spot in my own apartment where I can handle whatever upset my body might throw my way?  That's doable.

But for me, I'm having to fight the message that it's totally cool!  and awesome!  to get your exercise in first thing in the morning, because my system just isn't down with that, yo.

I quite like the mornings I can get a little movement going, for sure, but gentle and easy are key, and I've gotta watch for the mornings when my body tells me "nope".


No comments: