Thursday 27 January 2022

Closeting

I don't think I've told you about the torture I'm putting a plant through...

See, I'm stuffing a plant of mine into a closet for 16 hours a day because the internet told me to!

Ok, let me back up juuuuuust a little.

There's a spot in our building (laundry area) where people put things they don't want anymore and sometimes people put plants down there and I go YAY! and grab a new plant friend.

A couple of months ago I picked up a new plant (in a glass container no less, a new thing to me...) and some part of my brain told me it was a kalanchoe.  I googled and I was right!  Yay!

After a few weeks my brain also sort of remembered that most of the plants of this kind that I'd seen had cute little flowers so I researched it and the internet told me that if I forced the plant to think it was hibernating for six weeks it would be likely to flower again!

I felt badly about this but more than a few sites said the same thing so into the closet went the plant.  SO WEIRD!

Now it hasn't been six weeks yet (Valentine's day will be six weeks) but it's been probably three, and I'm not seeing signs of buds at all.  Yes, some mornings I forget to take it out (I've put a note on my kitchen wall to try to help with that) but in general I'm pretty good about it.

I did wonder the other day why I have to put it into total darkness (in the closet) when we don't get much light these days anyway, but maybe artificial light is still light and it needs the for real darkness to hibernate.  I don't know.

It's just this very weird thing that I've never done before in my life - putting a plant in a closet feels very weird and strange and wrong and I feel quite guilty about it and I'm hoping the next few weeks result in something good!  (And I hope the plant's not mad at me!)

But yeah, I'm... putting a plant in a closet in what is certainly the weirdest plant based thing I've ever done.  Wish us luck, eh!?

No comments: