Friday 27 September 2024

Well, Isn't That Nice?

We had a little earthquake Thursday morning... like 4am.  

I felt it but I'm not entirely sure if it woke me up or if I was in a very light sleep phase and kind of already awake so noticed it, but either way, I felt it.

And in my sleepy state, the actual thought I had was "well that's a nice little earthquake!" as in, awww isn't it sweet and gentle and small/short?  

I woke up a bit more after that and got actually out of bed, and as the sleep wore off and the anxiety kicked in I was worried about potential aftershocks, even though it had indeed felt like not a very large quake.  I checked my phone in the kitchen to see if anyone had texted but no one had so I took myself back to bed where I had a hard time falling asleep.

Which I suppose makes sense, that adrenaline type worry would have had my system less in sleep mode and more in "we're running from a tiger?" mode I suppose.

My brain wanted to go over my *actual* earthquake plans and then it wanted to talk about the worst case earthquake situation but I tried to steer myself away from that and managed to get back to sleep at some point (with my teddy bear in my arms for what it's worth.)

Some people slept right through it it seems, others woke and were frustrated with their spouse for "shaking the bed" and some were woken by it like I assume I was.

I do have what I hope is reasonable earthquake supplies in a kit and I did check that kit not too long ago.  I also am pretty sure I wrote myself a note of "here's what to do and here are some numbers" or something like that, but honestly, the state of my brain when the shaking was happening wasn't at a place of doing much of anything and I have to wonder if that's maybe ok at least initially?  Or at least for a small shake like this.

I got a text from my SIL asking if I'd felt it and that was sweet (it did hit the news after all.)

But yeah "a nice little earthquake" is not on the form you fill out to tell the organizations if you felt the earthquake, go figure!

No comments: