Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Unsettling

Over the last while (week or two?) some of the lights in my place have been flickering.

First it was a salt lamp I've had for ages so it makes sense the bulb would be going so I replaced it.  But then I also noticed the bedside light in my bedroom flickering.  Meh, I'd get around to that another time.  And then the bathroom, did that just flicker?  And yep, kitchen light, ugh that's annoying, I can't tell which bulb needs replaced, oh well not urgent.

But weird that all of my bulbs were going at the same time, what's the chances of that?

I messaged a neighbour who said that as long as she's lived here her place has flickered so that's both concerning (to me on her behalf) and not helpful to know if it's a building issue.  I messaged Jason and he said that yes his were too which is unusual.  Hmmm.... 

The next morning BC Hydro (our energy company/utility/source/whatever) put out a notice saying that people across the province were likely noticing flickering lights and power issues and that the main transmission line was being impacted by wildfires in that area.

I told my neighbour and she said she had no idea that our power didn't just come from the island itself (I looked it up, the Island produces about 4% of the province's power.)  I said that it's something I don't think I'd ever really thought of and that I just fully take for granted but this disruption and cause kind of made me feel like there are a lot of things that I take for granted that maybe aren't as stable as I'd like to think.

All in all I'm glad to still have power and fresh air (for now) and I'm glad I only replaced one of the light bulbs I thought was dying! 

 

No comments: