Wednesday 12 September 2018

Tee Eye Ell

Today I learned that you have to maintain your fire extinguishers.

I feel ever so slightly dumb, but at least now I know.

I mean, I know the big ones get inspected from time to time, like in a workplace or business or whatever and actually now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I know where the fire extinguishers are in my apartment building?  I should really figure that out.  Whoops.

So I know that "important" ones are supposed to get checked but I never ever thought about it for the little ones I have (under my sink and in a closet)

So I went and checked them and apparently you're to check them monthly (not every decade, ahem) and turns out one of mine is dead (in whatever way they die... the check they had me do did not work) and the other one is close to dead (it has a "full/empty" indicator and it's almost done)  So I'm glad I checked.  So y'all?  You should have functioning fire extinguishers and you should know where they are and how to use them!

As in, the one I had in the van when it had the fire?  I had no idea where it was and my thought wasn't to find it, it was to RUN AWAY from the fire.  So I'll be checking the one in there too and the one I assume I have in my car trunk and I'll do my best to have them all easily accessible, and I'll check them monthly and hopefully never have to ever use them.

TL;DR  Your fire extinguishers need maintained.

No comments: