Thursday 22 July 2021

ARGH

I am (at the time of writing this... so it'll probably change by the time this posts) SUPER stressed.  Like anxious stressed and I'm not 100% sure why?

I have some potentially frustrating things going on... ok, wait, there's me doing that "remain anonymous in blog" thing so let's back up.

My phone provider (rhymes with Smelus) has informed me (us?) that they will no longer be supporting copper wires in our area.  So our building has been, what, installed? with their fibre whatever and now they want me to switch over my land line.

Well, I don't WANT a non copper wire land line.  But it seems within a matter of months that choice will be removed from me.  Although, to be fair to me, no one has given me solid answers or solid explanations yet just "no longer supporting copper wires" and "your service may be disrupted if you don't change".

Sigh.

So I've TRIED to get info with little success and have booked an appointment for them to come do... whatever.  They're apparently going to call me to talk it through first (the technician I mean) but hey, remember what I babbled about the other day?  Lack of plugs?  Yeah, my place has no free/spare plug near the ONE solitary phone plug thing so.... now what?  And also what about my door buzzer?  Like this stuff really really stresses me out and gets my anxiety going.

And if I'm not in a decent space (which I'm not right now) I will get mad at myself for not being able to handle it "better".  And that self-mad doesn't help anything at ALL.

So I'm super stressed, possibly mainly (?) by this Smelus change thing and I do not want to have to deal with it and I'm actually super sad and upset that I HAVE to change.  And I am apparently one of those old people who doesn't adapt to new technologies but I have reasons for that.  (I wanted a "regular" land line so that my phone would be more likely to work in an emergency situation.... sure, I get that you'll put in a batter that has X number of hours of talk time on it but that's not the same and not a guarantee and I've never wanted to have to deal with this.)

I keep complaining to my counsellor types lately that I feel SO less capable of dealing with things.  Like just... it's incredibly difficult to compare me right now to me how I know I used to be and having things like this throw me off to such an extent.  It sucks.

But yeah, I really really don't want to be dealing with this, but I chose to rather than putting it off.  Sigh.

Will see how the pre-call goes, cuz I have lots of reservations (and need answers.)

3 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Waiiiiit what? Now I'm worried, because I also don't want to go on some fiber optic Telus bs.

Elliott said...

We had Bell fiber optic run to the house in Jan/20. Perfect timing for changing to work from home with covid. I worked here and am on calls most of the day, my wife taught from here with the camera on most of the time, my oldest daughter taught here with her camera on, and every other 2 week block our middle was here taking university courses and her bf worked from here too. We had zero bandwidth issues and no speed issues.

We switched from cable and highly recommend the fiber service. We live out in the country, and the speed, unlimited service, and the significant cost savings were all huge wins for us.

Hope your experience is the same with Telus versus Bell.

My parents have the same service in their apartment (granted newer building than yours) and the buzzer and everything works perfectly with fiber service.

Victoria said...

Jason from what I understand Telus, er Smellus, will "eventually"?? no longer be supporting copper entirely....I can't hyper-link in here but... https://www.telus.com/en/internet/fibre/fibre-upgrade

Thanks E! That's good information to hear. My friend who's already been switched has no complaints either so... fingers crossed!