Wednesday 21 July 2021

Image

I don't like my body.

And before you get mad at me or feel some sort of way about me for saying that, know that that's an improvement on me hating, like flat out hating my body.  So, yeah... not a fan of my body and specifically I suppose I should say that I mean its shape.

I don't like the way my body looks and I never have and now I'm kind of angry about that.

I don't think I thought much about my body as a kid, certainly not what it looked like (as far as I can remember.) But I think many of us hit those teenage years and start to deal with the changes that come with puberty and age and, well... that, for me, is when the hate started.

I'm sure I've talked about it before, but puberty brought me acne (which kids are not nice about and which gave me massive insecurity - I knew I was ugly because of it) and then the combo of puberty and an injury (which stopped me from dancing/exercising for a long span of time) brought me large breasts fairly suddenly and they weren't something I wanted (you really can't dance the same with them, your whole center of balance is different, nevermind the weight and look of them) and I hated them and felt fat.

If you're not a large breasted person, you may not know that most clothing isn't fitted for them and so when you look down or in a mirror at yourself the tshirt or sweater most often falls straight down from the largest part of the breast and that, my friends, looks "fat".  Certainly to an already insecure teenager/girl.  Shirts (with buttons) don't fit either - they tend to pull and gape at the breast, and that again, can tell your brain that you're too fat for clothes.

Unfortunately my well meaning mother also said some things around that time and in later years that reinforced the fat narrative (I've since talked to her about it, and she's apologized and tried to explain what she meant but at no point in my life have I been obese and no one should have told me I was and that's just that.)

So all through my youth (teens, twenties) I hated hated hated my body.  I was fat (in my view.)  And this was the time when you wouldn't necessarily talk to anyone about this but if you did they'd probably say "yeah, me too".

And of course I compared myself to everyone else in high school and they were taller, prettier, omg so much prettier, had clear skin, wore clothes well, etc etc etc.  I hated my body, I hated my face, I hated myself.

It's taken a lot of time and work and re-evaluating to not hate how I look but I still struggle with it some days.  When I'm really really low, Jason will often hear me say that I'm fat and old and ugly.  If he gets frustrated with this he keeps it to himself and he either ignores me or assures me that's not true and not correct and just in my mind.  (Which, when I'm low, I brush off as lies... sigh.)

Lately, I'm struggling with my body and feeling terribly sad that I missed out on being young and pretty.  Because I think I was.  I can look at old photos and objectively see that I wasn't fat, or anywhere near fat.  And by my 20s I seemed to have figured out how to work with the breasts a little bit better so even they didn't do what I thought they did...  I looked good.  And I had no idea.  So it's like I never got to enjoy that.  I never got to be secure in my looks at a time when you are most wanted by the world.  I will never get that back.  I will never be 20 and confident.  Or 30.  Or possibly even 40.... 50?

I hate that.  I hate hate hate that I have hated myself and not seen myself neutrally if not positively.

Even now if someone tells me I'm pretty or something along those lines I think they're lying.  (Lying is oversimplifying but catches the drift of it.)

Some days I can see it.  I can look in the mirror and think "I'm kind of pretty!"  or something like that that would be too embarrassing to type out loud. Other days I look in the mirror and I'm a hideous gargoyle that should never be seen in the light of day omg why do I look so awful?

But also that's just how it goes sometimes.   I've stared following a couple of people online who purposely show themselves not looking great.  Who show how "influencers" pose and compare that to the reality.  They make funny faces and post without makeup and with bug bites and looking "bad" and I appreciate that very much.

But I can't get my age back.  I can't get youth back.  And I haven't yet found a way to turn into a confident person who likes how they look.  

And I'm not thrilled with the shape of my body right now.  Some days I tell myself it's fine - that my body has put on "middle age" weight (just like I saw my Mom do) and it's fine because that's the next phase... a thickening, just as mother nature wants it.  And there is a truth to that.

But I also have not taken the best physical care of my body these last chunk of years.  I was working with a personal trainer for a while but that was expensive (damnit) and then I had nearly four years of shoulders that wouldn't work and I was just getting into swimming and trying again and.... pandemic.

Crap.

Yes I have my bare minimum 20 (more like 40) minutes a day of "walking" but it's not honestly super sustained cardio.  But I'm not punishing myself by saying that's not good enough.

And my diet is crappier than it needs to be.  I've been watching my sugar yes, but not my carbs (which is sugar by a different name) and sure people say "oh, it's lockdown weight, we all did it!" but it's not so much the weight (I'm keeping it off, just not reducing), it's the... flab?  The looseness?  The floppy?  It's seeing the parts of me that were never fat have fat.

And seeing my skin age, and more fat under that skin and holy crap I really don't like my body when I start looking at it.

And that makes me mad.  Because if I'm looking back on my 20s and realizing I was attractive and didn't see it, then how much am I going to hate looking back at now and realizing I didn't see it.  UGH.

So... I'm saying I don't like my body and I don't like that I don't like my body and I'm trying but also pandemic and anxiety and life and motivation and they keep telling me to accept how things are?  So, yeah.. I'm overweight.  Not sure I'll ever be normal BMI again?  I also am not seeing myself neutrally or positively, I see myself very negatively and probably I'm quite wrong.

But I also am trying.  And there has been change.  I think "I look good" more days than I used to.  And I can look at photos from a few (less than ten?) years ago and not hate them anymore.  

A few years ago, I gave myself a selfie challenge.  It was purposely to work on some of this stuff.  I tried to take a flattering (to me) selfie every day for a month.  I think it helped.  When I look at them now I complain "oh that was years ago and I've aged SO much and" blah blah blah so... maybe I should do it again?  

I'm sorry (to myself) that I had bad skin.  I'm sorry that my breasts grew so suddenly so large.  I'm sorry that I didn't and don't appreciate what I have.  I'm sorry that I've ever thought I was fat.  I'm sorry I don't see my own beauty.  I'm sorry I can't see what others see.  I'm sorry.


8 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I'm sorry you lost those years of being aware of your beauty. It's one of the near universal things I've discovered about my female friends that none of them are comfortable in their skin.

There is every sign in the words you've written in this blog about how others respond to you that you are a beautiful person, under all the anxiety and such. I wish you could see what other see, too.

Victoria said...

Man, I wish I could change that... (the way most females seem to feel about themselves...) Sigh.

Elliott said...

I totally understand where you're coming from; and it's not just females that have body image issues. I've had those feelings most of my life too.

I've always been on the bigger side; I was 200lbs in grade 9 which was some belly weight, but thick body from sports. I've always felt fat, still do. Intellectually I know the muscular legs, 17.5 inch neck, and thick chest is heavy due to muscle, but always seeing an overweight/obese BMI is mentally wearing.

Very rarely hearing compliments on looks, only recently being called handsome, sure wears down too.

Throw in furry than the average bear, and...ahem...average sized...it's mentally exhausting.

I totally get where you're coming from. Sadly, we're our own worst enemy. Based on your writing I think you're a beautiful person...inside and out.

Victoria said...

Elliott, I know for SURE that men have these issues too and they're only now sort of coming into common knowledge and our understanding and starting to be talked about. Thank you for sharing your own personal version of this... very sorry you have it at all though. Big hugs. (And I've read some stuff that says BMI is B.S. so... let's go with that ok!)

Elliott said...

Completely agree with you about BMI...it doesn't take into account body composition and assumes mass is equal regardless of muscle versus fat.

I prefer to track using fitness indications like VO2 max that measures your cardiovascular fitness and ability of your body to use oxygen during exercise. I'm in the top quartile for my age and my fitness age is 15 years less than my actual age...which to me makes more sense than a weight versus height ratio.

I've been working on my cardio for about three months and have seen a steady improvement in my times as well as my VO2. So that makes me more excited than small improvements in my BMI. At least I know my fitness, and therefore cardio health, is improving.

Victoria said...

Good call.

Unfortunately, my VO2 max (via apple watch) is NOT improving, and I am not yet feeling comfortable enough to head back to the gym where I know I get more cardio than on my walks. But damn, good for you E!

Elliott said...

I started speed walking and have worked up to jogging 5K in less than 28 minutes. I hated jogging for years. Now that I've worked into and can do, it sure clears my head of lots of things that shouldn't be in there. Even though I've had 3 knee surgeries, the jogging seems so far, so good.

Maybe try the training that comes with the Apple watch or the Couch to 5K? It amazes me how much better my brain is after getting in a run. The same thing works for me after a 20 or 30km bike ride.

Have tried getting a base line for certain distance walk and try to shave time off by walking faster? It took me about a month, but I've improved my fitness a lot in 3 months.

Victoria said...

Yeah fair enough. I've "jogged" before. Body didn't love it (nor did I!) but I could amp up my walks for sure. (Still struggle to get them in some days so it's a balance... as most things are!) Thanks :)