Tuesday 19 October 2021

I'm Curious....

Do any of you, or have any of you ever done that thing that seems to happen on ALLLLLLLL the tv shows where the couple is sleeping in bed together and then we see one of them is gone and the other, barely awake, reaches over.... pats the bed/pillow and then realizes the partner isn't there and they wake up?

Like, I don't think I've ever done that.... woken myself up by reaching out and realizing someone's not there (who should be) but maybe I have and have just forgotten??

I know I notice or have noticed when the other person gets up, at least most of the time, and if it's morning I'll usually just go back to sleep and if it's the middle of the night I'll check that they're ok and then go back to sleep.

But that's not me waking up by patting where they *should* be, that's usually me being woken by the movement of someone else getting out of bed...

So is this *just* a tv trope (as I suspect) or do you sometimes wake yourself from a sleep because your hand/arm didn't find the person where you expected them to be!?

I mean I know I haven't spent a whole lot of time with a partner in my bed - I've never been married, I've only lived with a partner for a few months here or there - many of my relationships were long distance, so you'd have a week or two together or maybe just a weekend and often that's not even enough time to adjust to sleeping in a different bed or to get used to someone else being next to you.  So, maybe it's a long term live together thing and I've just never gotten there?

Or maybe it's a "plot point" thing.

 

 

(Sometimes when I'm watching shows where waking up is involved it makes me want to film myself waking up because I don't think I look like them, but then again maybe I don't want to know!)

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I have had a variant of this -- I rolled over once and I guess subconsciously realized I was in her section of the bed and sort of shocked awake only to find she was already out of bed and was making breakfast.

But yeah, mostly you notice the bed moving or the shift of the blankets or the noise I think.

Victoria said...

Yeah, that's kind of close but I guess it wouldn't make quite the same sense as a visual story telling device ;)