Thursday 11 August 2022

Thank Goodness

It's back to school time (especially for folks in the States?) and many of my (online) friends are posting photos of their young ones in their "back to school" outfits.

I saw one this morning of someone's daughters and I felt this overwhelming feeling of panic thinking about having to pick out an outfit to wear every day of high school (these gals were wearing nicely picked out "first day" outfits) and the pressures I assume are there of wanting to fit in, wanting to look a certain way, wanting to not be made fun of... wanting to look good or attractive or whatever else might go through a teenaged mind.  And I got overwhelmed with that feeling of pressure I suddenly had.

Maybe I'm over reacting or projecting my current anxiety on to a situation I'm long away from.  I don't remember caring about how I looked in high school all that much but I MUST have.  (I remember borrowing things for dances I wasn't allowed to wear and changing in and out of them)  Maybe I'm thinking about how it seems harder to be young these days with phones everywhere (and therefore cameras) and technology and the interwebs.... Or maybe I'm thinking of my current blah wardrobe and knowing I don't look fashionable or cool or anything... 

I don't know, I'm just really glad I don't have to worry about that and I can go about my day looking however and not really caring all that much.  And I hope these kids aren't as concerned as my stress level thinks they are.

2 comments:

Elliott said...

Do golf shirts and shorts count as fashionable and cool? I hope so...

A huge benefit of working from home is the t-shirt and gym shorts I wear every day. If I'm on a video call with someone I don't know or way up the org chart, I get a golf shirt out...otherwise my colleagues are seeing me in a t-shirt...albeit a fresh one with no holes or anything offensive...lol

Victoria said...

Uh, yes they sure do! ;)

Awesome :)