Thursday 18 July 2024

Glassy

My last few visits to the dentist, the hygienist mentioned some staining on my teeth.

In the last year or two (I don't actually remember) I switched from regular black tea to a decaf and so either none of my previous hygienists mentioned  the staining or it only started being noticeable? when I switched to decaf?

Whatever the reason, I'm not a fan of being told my teeth are stained, so after my last cleaning with a new to me hygienist who also mentioned the staining I googled how to reduce or stop it.

Sure, I rinse and brush after (although to be honest not 100% of the time....) but the internet suggested drinking tea with a straw.  Which seemed SO super weird and wrong to me but also I was kind of like wellllll.....

So I found myself some glass straws (I don't like metal and don't want silicone) and yes it is SO weird to drink tea through a straw, like SO weird and maybe kind of takes away some of the enjoyment of sipping at a cup of tea but, well... stains...

These glass straws came with a straw cleaner thingy and so I clean out the straw after each use and it's been interesting to see the "stains" on the inside of the glass too.  With the reminder that's going on my teeth (and the white/cream mug to be fair.)

I've read that part of the staining comes from the milk/cream and that's what I've noticed with the straw.  But what blew me away was that one day I just decided not to clean it cuz no big deal and I haven't been able to get some mild staining out of that straw ever since!

So yeah, I guess decaf tea with cream really is doing weird things to my teeth and it's a bummer that I have to wait six months to ask a dental hygienist if they are any less stained!  (If they're not I'll just go back to regular tea drinking.)

No comments: