I figure/hope I mentioned that my gym closed in Spring.
This gym is so convenient for me and I've gone to it pretty much ever since I moved into this apartment and realized it was there.
When I first started, I got in the habit by going with a co-worker. Then I was able to flip into going by myself. I'd do some cardio and sometimes some machines and then some stretching before I went home.
Covid lockdowns kept me away for a long while and I think I documented when I started to nervously (masked up mind you) go back to the gym and then when I tried to get into the pool there and how that went and was a lot, and then how I sort of accidentally discovered aquafit classes (I was finishing up some laps when I saw people entering and hovering by the side clearly waiting for a class and asked a lifeguard what was coming up and he encouraged me to try the class) and then over time learned how much I loved and enjoyed them.
That gym, I also mentioned, has since moved locations. Less convenient for me but still.... like I can get there, I just don't like the process of doing so. And I do not enjoy the new space. And I have been trying to get to classes at this new location and I am really just not enjoying them.
It's actually sucking. I rarely minded going to aquafit. I could talk myself in to going pretty easily. I'd always feel better and happier after going. I'd do some easy social chatting before and after the classes and made some acquaintance type friends there. It uplifted my mood and helped me get fitter and stronger.
I still see some of the same people in the new-to-me classes but it's not the same. The classes are not enjoyable as I'm doing them and the getting there and back isn't much fun either.
So I've "missed" a lot of exercise. It's hard/impossible to "make" myself go to something that isn't easy and isn't much fun and leaves me feeling grumpy after.
Sure, there are other places I could try. I don't want to. There are even other pools I could try. I don't want to.
My body, I assume, is suffering from me not going to these classes the way I was going to the water based classes and it sucks.
Weirdly, I haven't done anything else at the new location. Like I haven't gone back to what I did years ago... the treadmill/weights/stretching combo. I'm not sure why.... maybe in part because it's been a couple of years since I did that anyway? Maybe because the new space doesn't feel comfortable for me?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do... I'm still doing my "bare minimum" exercises around the house but this whole closure and move thing has really sucked and I hate that I lost something that was working so well for me in so many (unexpected) ways.
I have a vague plan/thought to see if I can get myself to go to this location and just do some treadmill time but even that is like "ugh".... am I stopping myself with some mental hangups? Maybe. But also, it was pointed out to me that the loss of those aquafit classes was a really big deal and that it's ok for me to mourn that loss and how much I miss it.
But yeah, the gym and exercise is a big struggle for me right now when it was much more enjoyable and fun and easy to do for the last almost two years. That's a rotten change and I'm not happy about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment